Topic

Made in USA day pack.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Made in USA day pack.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

My friend is looking for a Day pack that is made in the USA. He probably only wants to spend around $100, not sure. He likes the Osprey packs, but of course they aren't made in the US.

I've looked though, places like GG, ULA, and zpacks, but nothing he wants there.
    Any where else I might be missing?

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

How bout a CiloGear Worksack?

Made in Portland.

$69-500 depending on what he wants…

-Mark in St. Louis

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

Try Granite Gear. They have several decent day packs. Made in the northwoods of Minnesota :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

Thanks for the replies!
    I think the ones from Granite Gear would be more what he's looking at.

David Ure

@familyguy

My Granite Gear pack was made in Puerto Rico. Their packs are not made in the USA.

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com, made in the USA.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm a big fan of Granite Gear packs, but they are no longer made in the US. Like most big name backpacks, they're sewn in Vietnam now.

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

My mighty local heart is broken.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Puerto Rico is a US Territory. They are U.S. Citizens.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

And they vote in US elections.

They keep thinking about becoming the 51st state, but politically never seems to happen. No need to break your locally-made heart, you are still buying American made.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Funny enough, I happened to notice just the other day that my old ULA pack, which I absolutely love and have used for 10 years, has a tiny "Made In Canada" on it. Even Cottage industries aren't fully localizable anymore. And what about the country of manufacture of the materials, especially the fabric which can be argued contains most of the technological (as well as the actual) substance. These will usually not be manufactured in the US, though they might have been invented and marketed here.

This is not to mentioned the ex "Saudi Arabian" dinosaurs who came up with the raw materials. They should at least get a tag, or something ;)

Leaving aside the question of whether the "political" principle is even valid, from the practical point of view it may, for most products with any technical components, be moot. Cottage industries are *more*, not less susceptible to the need to purchase their materials and manufacturing from elsewhere once they start producing more than a few items per month. If you bought all the materials to hand make your own pack, would that be truly "made in America". I think not.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"This is not to mentioned the ex "Saudi Arabian" dinosaurs who came up with the raw materials. They should at least get a tag, or something ;)"

I'm pretty sure Gossamer Gear only sources from U.S. dinosaurs….

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

I have one of those crazy 3 oz GG day packs I think the SUL folks like to go out in. Its all Silnylon plus a few threads. Even if it were in fact sewn in the USA, by weight, and possibly actual net work, it would still be %99.99 NOT made in the USA.

On the other hand … I once owned a Toyota Corolla that was %100 manufactured in the USA.

However….I think all the companies mentioned so far would, in spite of this, be consider homegrown and hence acceptable to the OPs friend.

David Ure

@familyguy

PR is not a state, last time I checked.

Regardless, Granite Gear's packs are now made in China.

Is that part of the US or is it the other way around?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Is that part of the US or is it the other way around?"

Oh gosh, definitely the other way around! They own lots of our debt, and they're buying up our buildings….

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"PR is not a state, last time I checked."

$%!+ just got real!

While PR, Guam, US Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands are normally called U.S. territories, they are states under the law. There are a few things which make them distinguishable from the other 50 states but for the purposes of interstate commerce and citizenship, you can call them 'Merican.

INA 101(a)(36)

If you really want to get lost in the mundane….

America Samoa and Swains Island are outlying possessions and they are considered U.S. Nationals (distinct from U.S. Citizens.) They do not enjoy the full benefit of citizenship.

v/r

Ian

EDIT +1 the other way around for sure!

David Ure

@familyguy

"There are a few things which make them distinguishable from the other 50 states but for the purposes of interstate commerce and citizenship, you can call them 'Merican."

Holy SH%T! Ricky Martin is American?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A noble quest, but even if he gets a pack sewn in the US, chances are the fabric and hardware will be made elsewhere. We live in a global economy!

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Locale: Cascadia

Try a buddy of mine in Seattle. Tom Bihn makes some very nice stuff. They have a website and sell direct. It's made in Seattle in their very own factory!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Holy SH%T! Ricky Martin is American?"

Yeah, and wasn't he just that more sexy when he was perceived as an "exotic, non American"?! Thanks Ian, thanks A LOT.

;)

LMAO

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

I don't own any of their packs, but they look cool and are made in the USA. I handled one and it was really nice, comfy straps, well stitched. Doesn't scream ultralight outdorky, useful for both trail and town.

http://topodesigns.com

/topo

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Easy folks. These all American men were setting standards in hiking fashion before some of you were born.

.menudo

I believe that is a Patagonia headband.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haha Ian! Btw, how DID you find a rare pic of my early trend setting hiking heroes and role models? I thought only i had such pics.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

If I don't received a restraining order from the next GGG within driving distance, I'm showing up wearing Menudoesque satin pants.

Edit: Is it considered thread drift if I'm talking about threads?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools