Topic

August backpacking, <12 hrs driving from Dallas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning August backpacking, <12 hrs driving from Dallas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    William McAlpine
    BPL Member

@virtu

Hi,

I'm moving to Dallas this summer from the east coast. I've never been west of Dallas and will have a week before I start school in August for backpacking. Does anyone have any ideas for a 5-6 day backpacking trip within a 12 hr driving distance of Dallas?

Thanks!

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I grew up in north Georgia and this is close ,mixed pine forest and 215+ mile trail. Nice 2000-2600 peaks(we call them Mountains Ha)
    Me and a few others are doing 9 days in November. but wouldn't mind finding a trail partner for trips in OK & TX
    Only 3 BPLer's in Ok

It is really nice and it is 4 hours or less from DFW.

Also check out Ozark Highland Trail in Ft. Smith,AR

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Arkansas/Oklahoma are your best bet for really close trips. It will be hot and humid but hey you won't need much insulation

I think a better bet would be the Pecos Wilderness area. From Dallas it would be 11-12 hours but its a nice place and it will be a lot more pleasant in August.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I agree the Pecos would be a good choice. It's about as close as you can get to decent elevation, and therefore a break from the heat. AR IMO would be brutal in Aug.

William McAlpine
    BPL Member

@virtu

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Pecos sounds like a great idea. Is anyone familiar with Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado. Would this time of the year be good time for a trip there?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools