Topic

Duomid + Inner or Notch for AK or…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Duomid + Inner or Notch for AK or…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Here we go with another shelter thread…

Been using a Tarptent Moment for a few years, works well. I now use trekking poles and long for a double wall shelter for various reasons. Will keep the Moment as a loaner and general 3 season use. Must have a fully enclosed shelter due to disease carrying ticks in this region and bad mosquitoes in others.

Notch:
    1. Lighter than my Moment
    2. Quick setup
    3. Good "liveable" room, especially headroom
    4. Cheaper than other options
    5. Small footprint

Silnylon Duomid + Solo Inner:
    1. Proven for Alaska and similar environments
    2. Versatile for all 4 seasons
    3. Large coverage area useful for bikepacking and general camping
    4. Weighs about the same as my Moment
    5. Costs more

Does anyone have experience using both of these shelters?
    What made you choose one over the other?
    What would you choose if traveling the world, especially Alaska?

I am leaning toward the Duomid + Solo inner combo.

Thoughts?

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

out:

http://www.nielsenbrownoutdoors.com/2012/05/tale-of-2-tarptents.html

Roger has a great comparison between Moment, Notch, and Duomid.

I don't own any of these shelters, but my height (185cm) has so far kept me from trying the Duomid. According to Roger, there should be more headroom when lying down in both of the Tarpents compared to the Duomid.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

That post you reference is what made me begin to question the Duomid vs Notch again. I am 175cm (5'9") tall and the Moment is perfect.

I probably should have just purchased the Notch when it came out but keep thinking to myself that pyramid style tarps are versatile and are a good choice for epic adventures.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I've used a TT Contrail, but it's very different from the Moment or Notch.

I now us a MLD cuben Duomid and Solo Innernet, and really like it. I'm 5' 10". There's plenty of room for me, even pitched low. Given the cuben, my weights are a good bit lower than the ones in the review – 666 gr, 1 lb 7.5 oz. That for everything: tent, inner, cords, pegs.

I really like this tent – the combo of weight, storm proofness, bug-free sleeping, room for gear, even cooking, out of the rain, is just amazing! It can also be set up as either a one pole or two pole for increased strength in a real blow, or for easier two person shelter.

Here's some pics I took today for someone else:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=75977&skip_to_post=648941#648941

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools