Topic

Details on a Kelty Flight 4500 Backpack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Details on a Kelty Flight 4500 Backpack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I got a Kelty Flight 4500 backpack the other day. What I have is a big loose pack bag with shoulder straps and waist belt, two side pockets, and a top lid.

If anyone is familiar with this pack and has photo details of the rigging, that would be helpful. I'm wondering about interior details and the mounting for the top lid.

Some questions:

What I have is a frameless pack bag with no padding: did it come with some sort of foam or other frame inside?

There is a pocket at the inside bottom, right behind the waist belt tunnel. Was that for some sort of lumbar pad, or a seat for a frame, or?

There are round patches with tunnels in them at the top of the pack sides. They look like they are designed for straps of some kind. Any ideas?

There are two long straps inside with the male half of a side-release buckle on them. Any idea what they are for?

I can see the the front of the top lid mounts to a strap and side-release buckle running up the front of the pack, but I'm curious about the mounting for the back side. There is a webbing loop and horizontal webbing ladder/chain at the top of the shoulder straps, but no interconnecting link. There is a strap and side release buckles on the bottom of the lid that looks like a possible belt for a fanny pack conversion, but it is far too short.

Thanks!

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Hi Dale,

Where did you find it? Really interesting pack, actually. It's an exact replica of the all white Cloud packs, but in a more reasonable fabric so the price wasn't $800 or whatever. I loved that pack. Had it sent to a gear customizer years ago to have a back pad pocket sewn in. FedEx returned an empty cardboard box to me. So sad!

Lucky for you perhaps, I have every component this pack uses. Actually 2 of most things.

The pack can be just a sack like you have (excellent summit pack) or a full-on dual stay framed pack that can probably handle 40+ pounds. All removable. All customizable.

It's pretty complicated to describe. I'll pull out all the components and take a picture and see if that helps. I think I still have your email address in my gmail.

If you don't think you'll use it, I'd definitely be an interested buyer! I actually had a custom bag made specifically to handle the components, but I just haven't got it tweaked right enough to actually use it. The shoulder straps were uncomfortable, so I need to pull them and figure out something else.

Great find!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Thanks for the input! I'll have to put it on the project list.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools