Topic

Bear Canisters (when they’re required)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear Canisters (when they’re required)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tom Bryan
    BPL Member

@sambryan

I’m planning a trip to New York’s Adirondack Mountains, and they may soon require non-pliable bear cannisters.
    http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5/bckcntrybears.html

In the event that I have to use one, Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!
    Tom

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

depends on the amount of time that you will be out. For the lightest week long one you can use a Bearikade or for 3-4 days Bearvault has one that weighs in at 30 oz and is half the size of other cannisters. Garcia has one too but weighs in at almost 3 lbs.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Right now, Until July 2, REI has an in store sale on BearVault. Normally $79.95 now $59.99.

Verndal Lee

@jagc

Locale: Pacific NW

Mike –

I just checked the REI internet site and could not find the BearVault on-sale. The Garcia was on sale for $55.00, though.

I like the BearVault as it’s clear and you can see the contents. Is this feature really important? Or do most people simply empty their container to find what they need?

Am planning my first trip where there’s a possibility of bears….ought to be interesting.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I also checked the rei.com web site and did not find Bearvault on sale. Like I posted, it was an in-store sale until July 2nd for $59.99. This is also the sale price at Wilderness Dining

EDIT – Ooops… the one that is $69.99 at the Wilderness Dining link above is the one that REI has on sale for $59.99.

Yes it is clear, and the twist off lid makes me a little skeptical, but I would like to be able to see what I am looking for rather than dump everything out.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

The twist off is not too bad once you get the hang of it. The beauty of the Bearvault is the weight which of course is lighter than our wonderful Garcia Cannister. For those that are interested, Bearvault is now offering a 3-4 day version which weighs in at 30 oz. It is the same width but is shorter than the regular version.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I didn’t think the twist off cap used with the Bearvault was difficult at all. In fact I thought it was extremely easy, that was why I am skeptical of how well it works with bears.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Gotcha. Well they have been approved (not sure if it is still conditionally or not) for Yosemite and Seki. Both of these agencies are quite tough on polices whenit comes to cannisters.

Anonymous

Around Yellowstone, we hang our food etc. Are there now places where you must have a bear canister and where hanging stuff isn’t accepted?

Thanks.

Tom Bryan
    BPL Member

@sambryan

Yes, some places require “non-pliable bear cannisters”. For example, a regulation is being proposed for New York’s Adirondack Mountain wilderness areas. See the proposed requirement at:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5/bckcntrybears.html

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

These nasty add-ons are mandatory in most areas of these National Parks in California:

Yosemite
    Sequoia
    Kings Canyon

AND they must be one of the SBBIG “approved” or “tentatively approved” models. See http://www.sierrawildbear.net/foodstorage/index.htm

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools