Topic

Tent pole for push & pull

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Tent pole for push & pull

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I was wondering if anyone uses a tent pole to push on the counter-weight of a bear bag hang? If I double my tarp-tent pole (to increase the stiffness) it is about 6 feet, which is fine.

If you tie a line between the ends then you have a 12 foot long pole, which you could pull on one of the bags. You have to keep the tension on the line so the pole does not disassemble.

I probably missed this one, I am sure it has been posted.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Often it is difficult to get the pushing pole to be stiff enough to do the job.

A much easier method is the two-cord method, and no pole is involved.

–B.G.–

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Bob — I thought you recommended the counter-balance method since there are no tie offs or dangling lines. I do remember you posting the PCT method shouldn't be used.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Yes, avoid the PCT method. It upsets the bears so much you *can not* find a single incident of the type of failure Bob is concerned with. All you will find are stories of missing hikers, abandoned camps, and horrible carnage.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I thought you recommended the counter-balance method since there are no tie offs or dangling lines."

That is correct. Many years ago, before bear canisters, we did counter balancing with the two rope method. You don't need any pushing pole. The two rope method requires two ropes, oddly enough. The two food bags counter balance each other on one rope.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

two-rope method

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools