Topic

Dehydrated Water…almost

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Dehydrated Water…almost

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I was listening to a discussion, where one hiker was claiming he carries no water but about 1/2 the Pedialite, and can go as far…. Anyone have any input or objective feedback on this?
    I see you're replenishing your electrolytes, but I think you still need the H2O. What am I missing?

MikeB

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I don't think you're missing anything. Most likely that hiker was drinking more water than necessary because his lack of electrolytes was being felt as thirst. You still need water to make energy, and electrolytes cannot substitute. Of course, water requirements do vary from one person to the next.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I ride bikes with a guy who drinks pedialyte in lieu of water. It was popular with triathletes awhile back which is his background. On any given ride we bring the same number of bottles, of course as Douglas points out our requirements could be different, he doesn't drink less … and I supplement minerals/electrolytes. It is amazing he can gag down the stuff pushing hard cycling. There was a famous female climber who drank cherry kool-aid because it made drinking palatable and she would keep hydrated. Very few of us are going to get hyponatremia from drinking too much plain water but if you see the telltale white stains on your clothing it's time to up the electrolytes particularily sodium.
    Does anyone know if the old saw about drinking enough that your urine is clear is based in fact?

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I think Pedialyte is nasty tasting, at least the stuff I gave my kids (they didn't seem to mind).

My solution (pun) is ElectroMIX from Alacer Corp, the maker of Emergen-C. One lightweight packet (0.17oz/5g) makes one liter of electrolyte solution, as in a typical sports drink but without the sugar. I get plenty of carbs in my snacks so I don't really need to carry the sugar component of sports drink. ElectroMIX has a faint lime flavor (not zesty) and no artificial sweetener.

This topic was also discussed in this BPL thread.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools