Topic

Several Rab Jackets on sale including 20% off

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Several Rab Jackets on sale including 20% off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    P S

@xeren

Locale: Southern California

Rab Pulse Pull-on ~$99 with 20% coupon (despite technically not being in the outlet, you can use code OUTLET-20 for these 3 jackets, probably everything that is on sale actually)

http://www.campsaver.com/pulse-pull-on-men-s

Rab Spark Jacket ~$120 with coupon code

http://www.campsaver.com/spark-jacket-men-s

Rab Kinetic Jacket $114 with coupon code

http://www.campsaver.com/kinetic-jacket-men-s

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Thanks for the heads up! I picked up a Pulse because I missed out on the OR Helium. I couldn't pass it up for under $100!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

The Pulse looks like it will have a far better hood than the helium.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Ah man I really don't need anymore outdoor clothing.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Here in the Pacific Northwest we could find ourselves hiking in 6 hours of rain. Does Pertex Sheild + 2.5L really going to keep me dry or will it wet out? I remember having a product in Pertex and it was useless – even though advertised as waterprrof. THANKS

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

If there is a chance of rain I will be using Event or Paramo, if the forescast is good I carry Pertex shield.

P S

@xeren

Stephen M, it seems like the general consensus is that the Rab Pulse hood is better than the Helium II (though the Helium II's hood has been improved from the Helium I), but the Helium II uses 30D fabric vs the Rab Pulse's 15D fabric.

If all that is correct, that is a tough decision. Slightly tougher or better hood? I've heard several complaints about the hood, but then other reviews make no mention of it at all, so I'm hoping it's just a preference thing.

I wish I had grabbed the Pulse full zip jacket when it was still on sale and available so that I could compare the 2 jackets, but it's looking like I'll be sticking with the Helium II. I don't think I want to bother with the pulse pull-on jacket that's still available- i feel like taking it off will be a pain and get me all wet trying to do so.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

The hood in the Helium is fairly crap but it is what is.

My lightest event jacket is just over 11oz and it kicks the Helium up and down the street, but summer day hikes snd fast overnights the Helium rocks.

Also I go to a lot of music festivals and the Helium can fit in my back pocket.

P S

@xeren

Stephen M, what exactly do you find to be the problem with it? I found this thread, and people seem to have differing thoughts on the hood

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58239

Maybe I should just pick up the Rab Pull-On and compare the two… Justin McCabe in this thread actually prefers the anoraks

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=70279

I wonder why- they seem like a pain to me, but i'm willing to be enlightened

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

I suspect that it isn't so much that the helium II hood is poor, just that Rab really nailed the hood on the pulse/kinetic.

As an owner of a kinetic, my thoughts/experiences on the hood: great coverage, water coming off the brim doesn't drip into the shell, it moves well, does a good job at preserving peripheral vision, very adjustable (and simple to adjust), and I also appreciate what it isn't (hood is not over-sized or bulky) – there just isn't much if anything I would change about its design.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Ps,

I was taking about the original Helium.

Hi Joseph,

Rab hoods are very good, I love the one on my Alpine Pullover.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks, I picked up another Boreas for 47.97 out the door.

This is a great option for a windshirt

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Will a Large, in practice, fit a 6'3" 190 42L guy with 35" sleeves? It would look like it will. Thanks.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Joe, I'm 6'2.5" and 175/180 (depending on the week) with a 35"+ sleeve and the Boreas is a loose (casual) fit for me, not skin tight (just what I like).
    The sleeves go past my wrist (half way between the first thumb knuckle and the palm muscle at the bottom of my hand.
    This morning while wearing my Boreas I have thinking "what if I made thumb holes", but I think the sleeves would be just a bit short for that; but if I added thumb "loops" it would work great. I really don't think I need either, just something to think about while walking.
    I think the sleeves are a very good length for someone who usually has issues with std size large shirts sleeves being too short. Also any longer and they would be too long.

Hope this helps,
    Tad

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools