Topic

Polypro reconsidered also, but in different ways

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Polypro reconsidered also, but in different ways

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

"…kind of makes me wonder why more manufactures don't blend it with other fibers. For example, Polypro with some polyester, and/or a little spandex should help some of those issues. The only blend that i've heard about is a Merino and Polypro blend, but it seems pretty uncommon."

New Zealand manufacturer Macpac used to make an excellent line of undies under the name Geothermals (there's a Geothermal line in the current catalogue, but it appears to be completely unrelated to the originals and made of polyester). There were two weights, along with some garments using panels of Geothermal and panels of light fleece. Geothermals were a polypro/acrylic blend, noted in the ad copy of the time as being a solution to the long term comfort issues of pure polypro.

Light, warm, wonderfully wicking; and I still use some that I bought fifteen years ago. It's such a shame that they don't make them any more. I never found a particular problem with odour over the course of a few days, although like many synthetics they seemed to suddenly tip over the edge and absolutely reek if you didn't wash them after that. Certainly, compared to the "smelly Hellys" of the time I thought the blend worked well. That said, modern versions of Lifa appear to be just as good in the odour management department as most decent brand name synthetics these days. The only time I've noticed the dreaded pong of yesteryear resurface has been when I've bought cheap polyester undershirts.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

"How stinky does the polypro get, and how fast does it get that way?"

Everything I wear on my upper body gets stinky…usually within an hour.

"have you tried using it by itself, without foam, during cold and wet conditions, and if so, did it wet through?"

Within an hour, sometimes sooner, it will be as wet as it would be if I dunked it in a bucket of water. I sweat a lot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for the further info John and Daryl. Daryl, i think i'm finally getting an accurate picture of just how much you sweat. I don't think i quite understood the degree before.

Sounds like you could benefit from a Dune, Freeman still suit to stay better hydrated.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

"Back in teh day" I was a first adopter of polypro. My wife once shrunk a pair in the drier to the size of a dwarf! (This after I specifically told her NOT to put them in the drier. Non compus mentus.) I went through many pairs of polypro as an XC patroller and racer. Literally wore them out.

Even had a top stolen right out of the drier (set on low) when I was patrolling Nordic events at Lake P{lacid during the 1979 World Cup. Stolen by Euro-trash.

I now own only the military top and bottom but seldom wear it B/C it is never cold enough to warrant it. (I need temps in the 10 F. or lower range)

P.S. I never had the "stink" problem with any brand of polypro and I think it may be an exaggerated issue. Either that or my body chemistry is different.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah wives..and they have the audacity to so often say that we're the ones who don't listen…

Thanks for the further information Eric. Yeah, stink may be quite relative and individual (personally i think diet and stress or lack of same can really powerfully affect it). However, i will note that not only is stink relative, but so isn't degree of sense of smell.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools