Topic

Honest Gear Maker Hall of Fame

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Honest Gear Maker Hall of Fame

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Reading Alan Shaver’s post about honest vs. dishonest gear specs, I think this is a great place to highlight those gearmakers who publish HONEST specs!

In your experience, who’s specs are the ones you read and trust?

Please do NOT include bad apples, since they are not here to defend themselves. Just list the honest ones.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

1. Six Moon Designs
    2. Henry Shires Tarptent
    3. Golite
    4. Montbell
    5. Bozeman Mountain Works

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Ben,

Did you intend to forget Gossamer Gear? Or, is it that you have no firsthand personal experience with them?

often their delivered wts are less than the published wts.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Paul,

My list is simply a start. Please add to it, based on your experience. Hopefully, everyone will do the same.

Thomas Laepple

@tlaepple

I can add
    mountain laurel designs

I only bought a EPIC bivy from them, but this is really great and exactly like the specifications.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Fanatic Fringe – pack weight was right on!

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

I would include Feathered Friends and McHale Packs in this list, but with so many options, materials and sizes, it is almost impossible to know what custom orders would weigh.

Rich

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

ULA should most definitely be included on the list

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

i second that on ula!! Brian does a wonderful job and their customer service is second to none.

David Peterson

@thegeoguy

Locale: Sonoma County, CA

Definitely MontBell (for a big company), although their stretch wind pants were actually lighter than listed; would that make them dishonest?

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

I’m also going to put in a bid for gossamer gear. I’ve purchased a fair bit of gear from Glen. He really did bend over backwards for me and sent Lightrek + poles to Australia albeit through the very expensive postal system but hey I’m the only one that has ’em. All the gear I have bought from GVP has been under the listed weights sometimes by upto 3/4oz. That is all bar a stuff sack for the Spinnshelter which was about .1oz over. I like to see Manufacturers that weigh their gear themselves and write the weight on each one.

Also I have a Montane Light Speed that comes up to nearly .2oz lighter than stated.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I bought an Arc Alpinist with the Pertex Quantum shell. While they did not publish the weight with the PQ fabric, the bag fell right in between the 16 oz .85 Fabric and the 18 oz Microlight at 17 oz.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

For large companies, MontBell is the champ; with Go-Lite a distant second. I’ve also had great experience with Bozeman Mountain Works and Gossamer Gear.

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

I would like to add Bay Hat & Canvas Co. as I just had a really good experience exchanging a Watership Trading Company hat purchased from them at http://www.bayhat.com

Robert Ebel

@poop

Locale: Earth Orbit

McHale packs should most certainly be in there.

Jan Unneberg
    BPL Member

@blueskyii

Locale: Pennsylvania

SnowPeak has blown me away with the accuracy of the stated weights of their products. Weighed on my digital scale, each of the five products I’ve bought has weighed exactly, to 1/10th of an oz., the published weight.
    Now that’s awesome!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools