Topic

Bearikade and the Grizzly Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bearikade and the Grizzly Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

So I'm about to take the plunge and mortgage my house for a bearikade weekender. But, bear and mountain noob that I am, I am terribly confused about the bear can politics out there. There is the one picture of a single bearikade that was eaten by a grizzly, but then there are the black bears in the Adirondacks who open the Bear Vaults with their handy craftsman tool kits. Now…I have plans for the JMT this year, the pct next, I desperately want to go back to Denali and gates of the arctic as soon as I can, we have a trip to the Adirondacks in October…so what's the deal???

I emailed the park service in Denali, thinking if THOSE guys allow bearikades then I should be good…here is the response:

Jen,
    Yes, the Bearikade is acceptable to use in the backcountry in Denali. Thanks for checking in with us. You will need to physically show it to the backcountry ranger issuing your permit to you otherwise you will be required to take one of ours (free of charge) when you get the permit. If you do not want to travel with your own canister, we do have them here.
    Thanks again and enjoy your trip!
    Becky Aschenbrenner

So…
    Are there any places that specifically forbid the use of the bearikade? Denali's website says nothing about the bearikade being allowed, and says only that they go by the recommendations of the IGBC. That's why I sent the email…but then they said sure I could.

I'm so confused…………

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tis confusing indeed. Well, whatever canister you go with, just cover it with super hot, hot sauce and let the bears have their "fun"… i jest, i jest (or do i bawhahaha). And if you don't mind a little bear drool (i've heard it's good for digestion, hair, and nails), you can always recycle the hot sauce later.

Ok, sorry for the completely non serious post, starting to get late here, and feeling a bit punchier than usual.

More seriously if the Denali lady says it's ok, then it should be ok, and if not, keep your correspondence for later proof.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I'm so confused…………"

Again?!?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Always.
    I'm like the opposite of Max; I know nothing.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Denali's website says nothing about the bearikade being allowed, and says only that they go by the recommendations of the IGBC. That's why I sent the email…but then they said sure I could."

Call the BCO. Ask them to clarify IGBC versus Bearikade. Get a first and last name.

You don't want to "luck out" on an intern who doesn't really know. BTDT.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Call the BCO. Ask them to clarify IGBC versus Bearikade. Get a first and last name.

You don't want to "luck out" on an intern who doesn't really know."

Agree with Greg. She might have been thinking Bear Vault when you said Bearikade, happens all the time in various ways. I'd definitely double check.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah what Doug and Greg said (this poor fool is too tired to think straight right now)

steven franchuk

@surf

The bearvoult canister was defeated by one bear that figured out how to open it. It's the only canister that has been opened by a bear manipulating the latch. That bear then taught her cubs how to open it.

The process of testing a canister is basically go to the zoo, put food in a canister, and put it in the cage and see what happens. The picture of the bearikade that was ripped apart by a gizzly occured at a zoo and it is the only Bearikade failure that has ever been reported. No black bear has ever gotten into a bearikade or Garcia canisters or other canisters with coin operated cover latches. The Bearvault is the only canister that does not use coin operated latches.

Because the bearikade failed its grizzly test some parks that have grizzlies have decided not to allow it. I am not up to date on which parks allow it and which do not. parks that don't have grizzly's do allow bearikades. However when you pick up your permit or arrive at the trail head you will have to show the canister to confirm you have one. If you see a ranger on the trail he may also ask to see your canister.

There are no grizzly's in California and Oregon. There is a very small chance you might see one in North Cascades National Park in Washington. However I just checked and found that bear canisters were not required as of 2012. Don't know about 2013. In all likelihood the Bearikade will be legel in the North Cascades due to the lake of bear problems in Washington.

For For all other locations on PCT and JMT the Bearikade is legel. Best thing to do for Denali and North Cascade National park is to check when you get your permit. The rules may change in the future. If necessary you can rent a legel one if the bearikade is not allowed.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Denali has canisters for free to lend you…so what's the worry? Buy what works for your most frequented locations and then use whatever Denali allows (whether whatever you buy, or whatever they give you for free). The Denali website is also pretty explicit on what they allow, the bearikade is not on that list (or the IGBC list regardless of what the ranger told you).

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/brfc.htm (in case you hadn't found this before)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Denali has canisters for free to lend you…so what's the worry?"

The issue is that the NPS loans or rents bear canisters that are the old Garcia models, commonly referred to as the black brick. They are heavy.

–B.G.–

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

It's not ideal I understand, but it's a single trip. The OP isn't even sure if they'll make that trip yet. I'd rather get a canister that works 95% of my hiking time that meets most my criteria and then freely "rent" a black brick with 1 lb weight penalty on the rare occasion I can't use my own canister.

Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

"Always.
    I'm like the opposite of Max; I know nothing."

Zing!!! Haha. And going by his old avatar of Boris Grishenko ("Golden Eye", 1995), He is also INVINCIBLE! Max, I kid, I kid.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools