Topic

Houdini ripped, repair?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Houdini ripped, repair?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

Hey guys,

I was wearing my Houdini (2012 model that I got used, but in great shape) for only the 2nd time when it ripped! I'm not sure what happened, but i was carrying a folding chair so something must have caught on it. Anyway, i have a 1" straight tear across the chest.

What's the best way to repair this? Some sort of tape? I'm afraid if i sew it, it will pucker and not lay flat.

Thanks!

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

There was this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72268

What I ended up doing was taking my Houdini to a professional seamstress (my GF happened to be going to one, so I tagged along). For $12, she removed the utterly useless chest pocket (this was a ~2009 model), sewed up the opening, and used the pocket fabric to make a beautiful-looking patch over the holes.

So, I'd suggest finding a seamstress for a professional-looking and permanent repair.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

No one would want a Puckered Houdini! Sounds like a wrestling hold :)

Other than sewing direct or a patch, McNett's Tenacious Tape would allow you to remove it later. It's a good thing to have in the repair kit anyway.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Ripstop repair tape might also work. You may be able to find a matching color.

It is a lot easier to sew without puckering (of fabric that is) after the tape is applied. I'm usually tense when sewing but the tape won't help that puckering.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

As Dale says tenacious tape would do the job, also Patagonia would fix it at a reasonable price.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools