Topic

Rab Pulse Jacket (7oz/200g) – Men’s M/L, Apple color only – $97.98 w/ free shipping in the CONUS @ campsaver.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Rab Pulse Jacket (7oz/200g) – Men’s M/L, Apple color only – $97.98 w/ free shipping in the CONUS @ campsaver.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

http://www.campsaver.com/outlet/pulse-jacket-men-s

Use code OUTLET-20 for an extra 20% off, shipping is free in the CONUS.

For less than $100, I suspect the Pulse is probably the most reasonably priced ultralight full-zip WPB jacket out there. I used a Rab Kinetic Jacket (same materials/cut, but add more pockets/velcro cuffs) on nearly all my trips last season – great hood, decent trade-off between weight and functionality. The Pertex Shield+ fabric is 2.5L and quite thin – not exactly confidence inspiring on first inspection, but it's held up great in the field so far, no delamination yet and it's proved to be fairly resistant to abrasion (considering the weight). Consider sizing up depending on your intended layering strategy – the cut is a bit tight in the shoulders.

Connor C

@athousandtimes

Locale: California

Thanks for the heads up. On campsaver it lists the weight as 8oz/255g, but I noticed BPL's 2012 state of the market report (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ul_wpb_jackets_sotmr_part2#.UWNZBKsjq-8) also lists the Pulse at 7oz. Do you think it could be a different year or somethin? thanks

P S

@xeren

Locale: Southern California

woah, I was waiting for the westcomb focus lt to drop in price, but this looks interesting- anyone know what the WP/B ratings are? I'm assuming this is a fully waterproof jacket, but I don't know much about Pertex Shield- is it more comparable to HyVent or MemBrain than to Goretex or eVent?

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

I don't know about any of the technical details, but I have a Montane Minimus which uses pertex shield and it has seemed comparable to other WPB jackets I have owned. The one thing you will notice is that it clings to your skin – it is quite thin. I used it on a boat caught in a squall and it didnt offer any protection from the stinging caused by sideways rain – but as a lightweight option it is fine.

Also, the Westcomb focus isnt all it was cracked up to be weight-wise: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/westcomb-focus-lt-hoody-review.html#.UWNm70r072I

P S

@xeren

Yeah, I had heard the Focus LT was a bit heavier than advertised- still, it seems pretty light, and 2.5 layer eVent sounds interesting to try out.

Still, for <$100, I may jump on this. I just wish I knew for sure this was Pertex Shield +, not just regular Pertex Shield (different sites have different specs for the jacket). There's a big breathability difference between the 2 fabrics.

Connor C

@athousandtimes

Locale: California

Well I decided to jump on it and order one. FYI campsavers return policy is 60 days no questions asked, 180 days "unused," and has a "fit guarantee." Thanks to the OP.

P S

@xeren

well you beat me to it while I was hemming and hawing, medium is sold out now.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

Some info: the Pulse was new to the market last year, and it's only ever been offered with the Pertex Shield+ fabric – the clearance selection currently on sale is almost certainly from the same stock as the initial release last spring. I'm also quite certain Campsaver has the weight spec listed incorrectly – Rab's own website and all the reviews I've ever seen for the Pulse have put it at closer to 7oz/200-210g. My Rab Kinetic jacket is practically the same jacket with a few extras (more/larger pockets, velcro cuffs, etc.), is a men's size medium and weighs 231g. Take out the extra features and a final weight of 200g-210g for the Pulse sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

As for the fabric – Pertex Shield+ is definitely more comfortable feeling on the skin versus the original Pertex Shield (the original stuff felt a bit like a plastic bag, the new stuff is slightly textured and feels like actual fabric – it's reminiscent of tissue paper, to be honest).

Rated at 20K/20K, the fabric is pretty much as waterproof as you're going to get, and breathability really isn't that far behind goretex/event.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools