Topic

Hat Options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hat Options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 51 post (of 51 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Sun Precautions has a drape style hat that works like a hat/buff, or hat/bandana, but with some advantages, imo. It's 100 spf (solumbra fabric). The drape hangs loose and so is probably cooler than a buff. It's great for mosquitoes, again partly because of the loose fit but also because of the fabric. It's highly adjustable with velcro attachments. You can leave it entirely loose or 'zip' it up to your chin or more, just above your nose, depending on your needs. I easily adjust it on the fly, even while using hiking poles, depending on mosquitoes or sun/shade/snow situations. In any case your ears and neck are always covered. Finally, it has a big forward brim.

Yeah it's dorky but no more so than a buff, perhaps.

This is my go-to hat in mosquito season, or while snowshoeing in sun. Otherwise, I wear a Sunday Afternoons wide brimmed hat.

I tried wearing a buff while nordic skiing but my glasses would always fog!

Viewing 51 post (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools