Topic

Adding pockets to a down jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding pockets to a down jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Hi everyone,

I currently own a Patagonia Nano Puff which I like a lot. However, I've been thinking I'd really like some front pockets. Any ideas on how to add these without totally butchering the jacket? My mom is great at sewing though I don't know if she will do this for me yet. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Erik

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

With considerable difficulty and mess. Me, I would put the pockets elsewhere.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Construct two flaps – fabric, insulation, fabric, finish all the edges. Then just sew to the jacket around the perimeter leaving a hole for your hands. Kind of a kludge maybe?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Well the nano puff is synthetic, not down so may not be too messy.

Still probably not worth it in my opinion. However if dead set you can butcher something up. Sew a long thin rectangle (reminiscent of an oversized button hole) in the vertical direction where your hands will enter the pocket. Use another jacket with pockets for reference. Cut out the center the rectangle and finish the raw edges with some edge binding and/or a zipper. Then just sew on a back panel on the inside to make the actual pocket.

It'll probably end up fairly messy still and I wouldn't recommend the project.

Jacques de Plume
    BPL Member

@lfone

I recently added a small zippered pocket to a life vest using this tutorial:

http://jembellish.blogspot.nl/2011/07/how-to-add-zip-pocket-to-shorts-in-5.html

Shouldn't be messy and the finished look is clean. Thin zippers (YKK 3C) will hardly add any weight. I believe my 12cm zipper weighs less than 5 grams.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools