Topic

Rab Latok Alpine vs. Kinetic???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rab Latok Alpine vs. Kinetic???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Hey Guys… Time for a new rainjacket. My current jacket is an older EMS and weighs a whopping 1.5#…so, either of these will be a large improvement.

Can anyone who owns (or has owned) both compare/contrast/recommend either the Latok Alpine or Kinetic???

Looks like the Latok Alpine can be had for ~$140 and the Kinetic for ~$100.

I was also considering the Westcomb Specter LT at ~$190.

Input please…

TIA
    -Mark in St. Louis

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The Latok Alpine weighs 19oz which is almost the same as your "whopping" EMS jacket. Aside from having eVent there's really no advantage to upgrading from a weight perspective. The Kinetic is cheaper and much lighter at 8 oz…that's an entire pound of weight savings for a relatively cheap "benjamin." Probably the cheapest way to drop a pound of weight without just leaving gear at home.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Did you weigh one you own at 19 0z.?

BPL threads I've read put the weight at 15-16oz.

Also, my EMS just isn't doing it's job from a WP standpoint any longer and it is an Xl, from a time when I weighed 240# (I'm 6' 180# now).

I really like the weight of the Kinetic…and….we're heading towards Spring/Summer of course. Is its "longterm" WP performance as good as people have said in older threads. I want something that is an improvement…I'm currently wetting out, in some areas, in 2 hours or so.

TA

-Mark

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Anyone have any input…please…???

-Mark

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

That will depend on the DWR of the face fabric, which will probably be an improvement (with either) initally but then degrade over time because these things do. You shouldn't be getting rain through where that happens mind. More condensation in those areas yes.

Nothing lasts all *that* long on the shoulders in continous rain.

Very long term (years) the Event stuff will probably last longer due to the construction. (Although I have no genuine idea.).

If weight matters the Latok Alpine isn't RABs most logical Event jacket by some way – its 540g. The momentum is listed at 360 and a few options at +- 400g.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

My Rab Latok Alpine in size small weighs 15.5oz, so it's not too far fetched to think that every subsequent size is another ounce or so, meaning aprox 16.5 for med, 17.5 for large, etc etc.

The 2.5L pertex shield used in the kinetic is pretty popular fabric for wispy rainjackets. I used to own a OR helium that used the same fabric.

The 3L event in the latok alpine will be more breathable, a lot more durable and feel nicer against bare skin. The pertex kinetic is best for a rain jacket that will see most of its life in your backpack and the occasional passing storms. That said, it'll do fine be constantly worn while hiking in steady rain…just know it's limitations on durability (wear and tear from being underneath your pack) and comfort (limited breathability). The Latok Alpine is meant more for spring/shoulder season winter sports like mountaineering, skiing, snowboarding etc, as it's weight and durability are a little too overbuilt for typical trail use, but would provide the most comfortable experience (superior hood design and better breathability.)

Maybe look for something more in between these 2 extremes, like the Westcomb you mentioned, or a less stout eVent jacket like the Rab Pull-on, or those similar offerings by montane. There's plenty of eVent jackets in the 9-11oz weight range, but they might not be found at the price point of the 2 rabs discussed earlier.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have the demand pull on and it is an excellent jacket. I've been using it as my shell for bike commuting here in chicago all winter and have nothing bad to say about it. I love the fit (and its a men's!), its got great butt coverage, I like the long sleeves…and this is my first eVent and I have to say I do like it better than my older Haglofs gore active shell. I took it on a backpacking trip two weeks ago and have to say I no longer drool over the wispy 8 oz shells. I really like this jacket.

They are on sale all over the place now ($175 ish), 9-10oz depending on size, and you can't go wrong.

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

Looks from RABs website like they've stopped doing the Demand now, hence those sales. Both the pull on and the jacket.

I'm not really sure why but suppose its a consequence of their developing all of the pertex shield+ stuff.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

My Rab Latok Alpine in size XL weighs 491 g =17.3 oz by my scale. I'm 5'8", 170lb and XL is the size it took to fit a lofty puffy underneath it. It's very nicely made and I like it. The Demand is attractive, but I couldn't afford it when I bought this.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey…Thanx for the replies. I think I would rather stay away from an anorak set-up, although the lower weight is nice.

Does anyone have recent/longterm experience with either:

Rab Kinetic

or

Mountain Hardwear Trice.

I would really like to stay under $150 if possible…maybe the Kinetic is the way to go, going into the spring/summer and I can search for a heavier 3-layer later.

???

TA
    -Mark

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey Walter…How do you find the breathability without pit zips, i.e. on long ascents??? Do the chest pockets do a decent job as an alternative?

TIA
    -Mark

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I have a RAB Latok (not Alpine on the tag but looks like the current Alpine i.e. two a line and two internal rather than 4 external pockets. Anyway it's a terrific jacket – kept me nice and dry on my last trip where day one was comprised from start to late afternoon of snow, sleet, freezing rain and regular rain. Held up great and fits great. I know it isn't the lightest option but it's pretty light and certainly is lighter than the 3 ply GoreTex Moonstone jacket it replaced which was substantial.

And eVent breathes a lot better in my experience.

I'm 5'10" 185 and wear a large. I've worn a Polartec thermal pro fleece under it as well as a Montbell Thermawrap and can fit a Brooks Range BR down sweater under it as well. I might not be able to fit a really big puffy but the others all work fine.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

"Hey Walter…How do you find the breathability without pit zips, i.e. on long ascents??? Do the chest pockets do a decent job as an alternative?"
    I like the breathability of the Rab Latok Alpine; event seems to work as advertised.
    But, I've never liked pit zips and mainly got the jacket for winter, wind exposure and bushwhacking when Dri Ducks are too fragile. I don't think the pockets are all that great at venting (but the pit zips I've had weren't either). I like the full zip rather than pullover because it's easier to adjust warmth. Also, except in very cold temps when I'm wearing a lot underneath, it's oversized for me and vents well with the waist loosened.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey Walter and Phillip…Thanx for the input on the Latok.

Does anyone think it's "worth" $42 difference to save 5oz. by buying the Drillium over the Latok Alpine?

Also, one-on-oneish battle @ $180-190 Drillium or Westcomb Specter LT???

TA
    -Mark

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

OK…I gotta get off the pot here…

Any final input on this list of choices?

Rab Latok Alpine $140
    Rab Drillium $182
    Rab Kinetic $105
    Mountain Hardwear Trice $140
    Westcomp Specter LT $192

Final thoughts..???

TIA
    -Mark

Also, if anyone has any of the above jackets they are looking to move for cheap(ish) in M or L (depending on jacket) PLEASE let me know!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools