Topic

silk baselayer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) silk baselayer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Looking for inexpensive silk base layers for sleeping. So far the best price I've found are the Terramar brand at STP. The only complaint people seem to have is that they are somewhat sheer. Will most silk baselayers be like this? Any suggestions and silk baselayers I should check out that you like? Unfortunately I don't have any MYOG skills or I'd go that way.

Jan S

@karl-ton

I like the stuff from http://www.silkbody.co.nz/

They use cotton in their fabrics, but it somehow manages to work surprisingly well not only for sleeping and is quite durable that way – i have used mine regularly for three years now. Not really cheap though.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Jeff,

I got my last pair at REI and they seam to be very good, I've used them now going on 2 seasons, and most silk base layer are shear, at least all mine are.

I like them for base layer in my bag or quilt, it helps regulate my tempeature and keeps me very warm, sometimes I'll use them hiking under my nylon pants on my winter hikes, the only time I use my mid weight merino wool base layer are in temps that go below the teens, other than that it's always my silk.

Jack

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not sure about pricing.. but I really like my Winter Silks long johns tops and bottoms — weighing 8oz. in total. May be worth a look.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Thanks for the suggestions. I grabbed the top from REI this afternoon with my dividend and 20% off coupon and I'm going to grab bottoms from winter silks. Only bad part of the whole thing is I forgot it is saturday and I ran into the zoo at REI.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Did you see any G O R I L L A' S, or just monkeys?

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

I like Terramar lightweight layers for construction-type work, I beat them up hard and they're really tough. Pretty good with abrasion, even the silkweight layers – though I only have older ones and I don't know if new ones are different. Survive through many many washings. Some of the 'silkweight' tops I have are more sheer than others, but I haven't had an issue with that in any respect. The lightest layers do snag pretty easily though, and threads get pulled out often, but again, so far haven't cared for my intended use. Comfort-wise they're okay, but only okay, I love my Capilene layers a lot more. They don't stink up as quickly, though, which is a plus.

However, I don't like the flatlock seams, Terramar seems to make them especially itchy on some garments. The fit is also horrible for me, very short in the arms and torso when I want a form-fitting layer (6'3" here). For their affordability I like wearing them for work where they'll go through hell, but for comfort, fit, and performance I'll definitely stick to my Cap 1/2 layers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools