Topic

Zpacks bug net vs. Gossamer Gear bug canopy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks bug net vs. Gossamer Gear bug canopy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

I already own the bug net, but the GG canopy is much lighter and also pretty affordable at 35 bucks. Not sure how easy the canopy is to use/set up, or how effective it is at keeping all the bugs at bay. However I did notice it on a very seasoned thru-hiker's gear list recently, and this person has the same tarp as I do.

My bug net clocks in at 213g/7.5oz, GG website specs say the canopy is 72g/2.5oz.

For use with a Zpacks Hex solo tarp on section hikes in Scandinavia from May-September.

Let another nit-picky debate begin!

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

As I understand it the ZPacks Bug Shelter is fully enclosed with netting and includes integrated groundsheet. GG Bug Canopy is basically a piece of netting that goes over head/chest/torso. At a minimum, won't you have to add a groundsheet to the bug canopy, bringing "comparable" weight up to 5oz or so? Not that they're necessarily even comparable at those weights, b/c of lack of coverage of canopy, but you get what I mean. . .

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

I plan on using a groundsheet with either choice. For the bug net, it has a Cuben floor (the thicker one, can't remember the exact number, think it's 1.4), and while that is pretty tough, it's also expensive, plus I often use an inflatable sleeping mat, and I am a bit paranoid and if anything it soothes a psychological need.

The ground sheet I use is 43g/1.5oz–a garbage bag cut in half the long way. This also doubles as a ghetto rain skirt.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Cesar –

I have both and prefer being fully inclosed because of fear of ticks in the
    Mid-Atlantic area of USA. (It's going to be a very bad year for them)

If not for that I would be using the GG this summer but I know others who don't worry as much about it.

I have met a few folks who's lives have been destroyed by lymes desease and don't want to chance it.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

"…prefer being fully inclosed because of fear of ticks…"

Same here. Full enclosure makes it easier to protect your gear from the crawlers too, though I guess you could cram stuff in there with you under the GG net.

The crawlers can be as bad as the flyers sometimes.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Regarding tick protection,
    Ticks are not much into crawling. You tend to get them from brushing against foliage.
    Their method is to climb plants and wait until something brushes into them.

Ants on the other hand, are crawlers.
    I like an enclosed net because I hate waking to ants crawling all over me in the morning because I laid my groundcloth over an ant bed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools