Topic

Question for New Balance fans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question for New Balance fans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I have used New Balance 690s for a few years now (the predecessor to 790 and 890s), for running, etc. Itend to hike in my Vasque Breezes but I'd like to upgrade to trail runners.

I find New Balance's numbering system to be pretty confusing – can anyone tell me what trail runner I should look at if I like the fit of the 690/790/890 running shoe? This is their lightweight (but not minimalist), basic neutral trainer.

I tried looking on Zappos but quickly got overwhelmed and apparently EVERYTHING is minimalist now? I don't mind a small heel drop but I need SOMETHING beneath my foot…thanks!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I run in 990s but found that I was the most comfortable in their 510 trail runner; as luck would have it this is their cheapest TR.

It was nice to check out their factory store in Charleston where I could compare them all side by side. I don't know if you ever go to Williamsburg but they have a factory store there.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

FWIW I've been buying NB shoes for the past 20+ years and I don't have any real understanding of their numbering system.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

Apparently the first one or two digits indicate the 'quality' of design materials, higher number being 'better'. The last two digits indicate the 'performance series' for which the shoe is intended.

Copy/pasted info regarding the last two digits –

60: stability (860-1260)
    70: mild stability (870)
    80: neutral (880-1080)
    90: lightweight, modern (890)
    00: spikes and racing flats

40: Optimal Control
    Supported by medical and podiatric experts, shoes in this category provide maximum control, stability, cushioning and support for biomechanical needs such as pronation and low arches.

50: Fitness Running
    For training on roads or for indoor workouts, the 50 Series offers the combination of visual attitude and innovation with the responsiveness and power athletes need.

60: Stability
    Designs that offer industry-leading stability to reduce pronation while also providing unparalleled cushioning and comfort.

70: Light Stability
    70 Series shoes offer the perfect combination of stability and speed, all in a lighter, sleek profile designed for runners who train at a faster pace.

80: Neutral
    For high-mileage runners who require light shoes and the protection of superior cushioning.

90: Speed
    For faster runners who want every advantage, including a superior ride and fit. The choice trainers for professional and non-professional speed and distance runners.

00: Competition
    Racing flats and spiked shoes that define high performance. Competition-level footwear for athletes who want to maximize performance, set records and win gold.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have never really understood whether there even IS a 'real system' behind the numbering.
    The letters usually mean something: MT = Mens Trail, WO means Womens Outdoors (I think), etc.

Cheers

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

They've been using the system Maris indicated for 2 years now supposedly. I wish they would have included the last style in the model number. They allow you to search what shoes are made with each last but most of those (eg, RL-3 used on the new 889) return nothing. :/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools