Topic

2013 Patagonia Houdini pocket size too small to stuff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2013 Patagonia Houdini pocket size too small to stuff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

anyone purchase the latest houdini and notice that you cannot stuff the jacket into the chest pocket. this is my 2nd Houdini the first being a model from 2011 which you can easily stuff into the chest pocket. I tried but cannot get the dammm thing to zip. Wondering if anyone else had this problem with their 2013 houdini.

thanks

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I noticed that also on my one.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to? Just toss it in the pack with everything else.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ike, it's a handy feature for those who use it. It helps with protecting the jacket.

Careful packing is always an option, but having one less thing to worry about is good.

Garth Collier
    BPL Member

@garthc

Locale: Singapore

Yes same issue, this zip feels like it wants to explode…way too difficult to do so i just use a zip lock to store it in the front pocket of my pack.

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Just got off the phone with Mary from Patagonia and she tried with a women's model and after about 2 minutes was able to get the jacket to stuff into the chest pocket but admitted that there seems to be a problem with this years model.

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

If I stuff this into the chest pocket and can put it in my hip pocket, back pocket, clip it to a Carabiner or a hip pocket on my pack.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Shame on you Ike, dont you realise its to see how small it packs ;-)

It does not bother me as I would be wearing it all the time.

A W

@lost_01

I've been thinking of making this post for weeks, with the title "How does one properly pack their Houdini into the pocket?".

I feel I almost damaged the jacket attempting to get it to collapse down.

*then again, the smallest I can pack my zpacks poncho downs is still 4x bigger than how they shipped it to me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have yet to be able to zip it up with jacket stuffed. Definitely too small.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Mind you, I have the old version with two hood drawcords and a velcro closure pocket, so this is not from personal experience, but on the Patagonia site under the reviews, someone wrote: "I've read other reviewers saying its hard to stuff into the pocket and at first I did have problems with that. But now I figured out how to properly do it. You need to use every space in the pocket – just keep stuffing it into the outer corners until the jacket is completely in the pouch. Then the pouch will be evenly inside and you can zip it up easy."
    Sounds like the little bit of space lost by the corners not being pushed out completely i.e. filled first could make the difference.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Greg, though I didn't write the review on the Patty website it is exactly what I found to be true.
    Stuff the corners as full as you can get them and then work on evening it out as you finish stuffing. I cup my left hand over the top of the zipper and try and even out the pressure across the zipper as I pull it closed with my right hand.
    This all might sound like a bunch of work just to get the thing in the pocket, but when it didn't work for my the first time I figured I was doing something wrong and tried the above solution- it takes all of 30 seconds to complete.
    I wear my Houdini all the time even around town and when it get too worm to wear I stuff it so I can carry it easier.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Stuffing the corners fully is certainly part of what you need to do, but even so the jacket barely fits. I've actually been able to stuff the jacket into the pocket but then getting the zipper closed is another story. I have gotten it closed but it is a chore, and once done the thing is hard as a rock from being stuffed so tight.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I struggled the first few times but finally got it. Definitely not as easy as the Spring 2012 model, but it is possible.

I have a much easier time folding the new Houdini pants into the pocket.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

+1 on don't bother. I haven't used self-stowing features on any clothing that had them– more trouble that it's worth. The Houdini stuffs into any little nook in my pack, most likely in an outside pocket where I can get to it easily.

@ Sean: give us a thread on the new Houdini pants. I'm surprised Patagonia didn't make more noise about them.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

its a pretty useful, even critical feature to be able to do this easily when climbing

the jacket stuffed clips to the back of your harness

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

The 2013 Houdini is my first and only windshirt… I thought I was the only one who cared about this when I never read any complaints! Larger hands definitely help, I'm able to sort of cup the whole thing shut and zip it up. Silent grumbling and cursing only aggravates it. You have to sort of sing a short lullaby and then it gives in.

Yeah, in the pack it's easier to just stuff it in any space, loosely. But in the city, or on long Greyhound travels, I appreciate the pocket when I'm trying to keep a small backpack organized. I've even avoided coat check at a few shows when I can stuff the thing in my girlfriend's purse (though I'd never brag about this anywhere else).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I like a large expanse of solid ground under my feet ;)

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

That is strange — I found the new women's version a little tighter of a fit than the 2012 one (ended up returning the 2013, and keeping the 2012) but definitely not difficult to stuff — maybe the women's pocket is larger?

edit: also the 2012 women's pocket is on the side, instead of the chest, where I guess it has a little more room to roam.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Does anyone use a carabiner to clip their Houdini (or other gear) to their shoulder straps? I recently bought a Circuit and I'm evaluating whether to keep my Houdini in my belt pocket or clipped to the shoulder strap.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I put mine in a side pocket if I don't have a water bottle in there. A belt pocket is a great idea– if it fits.

I wish it would fit in my ring, like The Flash's costume:
    Flash costume ring

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Go to REI and ask them to demo storing the jacket in the pocket.
    If they can't, tell them you would like to buy the defective product for 40% off.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I suggest you try to, as much as you can, fold and roll before stuffing it into the pocket.
    (I don't have it so I cannot try that but generally it works…)

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

It's doable but REALLY difficult. The key is to make sure you have stuffed the ends (all four corners) completely so that you can pull the middle together enough to get the zipper going. I am not sure why they didn't make the pocket just a tad bit bigger.

Bart Kempny
    BPL Member

@plasmation

Hello All,
    I have another question about the 2013 Houdini. I ordered one online (never had one). I have just read a comment on the Patagonia site that says the fabric used in the new model is different from older ones.

This is the comment:
    "For 2013, Patagonia changed the fabric. The new Houdini is significantly less breathable than the old Houdini (about 10x less, per lab testing). The new Houdini is not even close to as comfortable to wear as the old one when hiking, backpacking, running, or cycling. You'll quickly overheat wearing this new Houdini. It's not much better than a rain jacket – so why bring both?"

Can anyone confirm this??

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools