Topic

Z-Lite/Ridgerest Sol questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Z-Lite/Ridgerest Sol questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I just picked up a new Z-Lite Sol which has a heat-reflecting, metallic-looking surface on one side. I have 2 questions: 1) To maximize the r value, which side should be facing up when I'm sleeping on the pad? And 2) how durable is that reflective surface? If I use the Z-lite as a sit pad, do I need to keep the metallic side off the ground?

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Reflective side facing up…to radiate heat back to you when laying on it.

Matt Keenan
    Spectator

@mlkeenan

Locale: In the Mountains in the clouds

yea reflective side up I havent had any problem with it coming off due to abrasion after using it as a sit pad, the things tough as hell take full advantage of it!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

It's plenty durable, it'll last long past the $40 mark.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Reflective side toward you.

Our son has a few seasons on a Ridgerest Sol and usually rolls it "green side out". His reflective side shows wear and is worn through on almost all the ridge tops.

He's just updgraded (by request to the money tree) to the Z-lite, which he's lusted for due to the ease of packing, utility as a seat on the side of the trail and tighter dimensions when stowed. The reflective coating looks pretty much the same as the stuff did on his Ridgerest when new, so I reckon the smart camper should be mindful of wear on that side if you look at gear for the long run.

Cam Baker
    BPL Member

@trail_turkey

I put the reflective side toward my body.

Tip on the Z-lite, I sprung for the "long" version and then cut it into two sections: an 8 panel and a 6 panel. Two pads for the price of one. 6 panel is my SUL kit, 8 panel is my standard kit. Double them up for cold weather.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Silver side up. It will wear with time, but good for you if you can hike enough to wear it out :)

IMHO, the silver coating adds a bit more efficiency, but it isn't dramatic. It doesn't add much weight, so in in the 'why not' category. That said, if some wears off, you won't know the difference.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools