Topic

Drones and phones

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Roger! Are you trolling
    Actually, I was referribng to the 0.5" version and was trying to be a shade sarcastic or cynical!
    I mean, some of the drones are probably lighter than a 0.5" bullet!
    A rash moment … sigh.

Cheers

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"Years of research and development have gone into these highly effective 12 gauge shells that can turn even Joe Biden’s double barrel shotgun into an instant anti-aircraft platform."

http://www.luckygunner.com/12ga-3-uranium-drone-load-tacnition-5-roundsdrone loads, april fools

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Speaking of "some new kind of electronic weapon"

I think I was one day too early: http://news.sky.com/story/1075647/laser-cannon-deployed-by-us-navy-for-tests

Heavier than a 12 gauge or, I imagine, a barret … but oh so sci-fi! WHAT? you say it ain't fiction?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Well, multiple lasers aimed at a drone's camera may have an effect – or not. Authorities can get around it with a laser protective lens and then it's on to the next countermeasure in sky spies v.s. citizens saga.

As for a Barrett 82-A1 semi-auto .50 caliber rifle, the recoil is horrendous and the rifle is a bear to carry. Plus it's overkill for something as small as a law enforcement drone. A .339 Lapua or Norma mag. round will reach out just as far with plenty of "terminal ballistics".

But hitting a moving target may require multiple shots. Nice thing is that the drone operator doesn't know you're shooting at their baby if you are well camoflaged – at least until they see the ground approaching rapidly and the drone failing to respond to controls. Aaawww!

I can see drone operators checking out nude backyard sunbathing but they may learn it is a planned "distraction" to other (illegal) activity in the area.

As for the ORIGINAL post, do we really want no excuse to get away from cell phones?? Really?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"As for the ORIGINAL post, do we really want no excuse to get away from cell phones?? Really?"

Hell yeah we do. It sure seems to be what this society craves; the great 24/7 connectedness to the cloud. Imagine how many more people will be getting out for the weekend if they can check emails, send texts, and actually upload documents from the backcountry.

Isn't this what the recent satellite phone article was about? Granted, it's all in the context of emergencies for now, but wait until plans are cheaper and people start realizing they can hike the JMT and still say goodnight to their kids everyday.
    SPOT tracking seems to be just one step away from real time backcountry status updates on your Facebook page.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

got rid of my smartphone and the 2 yr data contract-yay.Still running an old xp pc and dont have an fb acct…hahaha!Have considered getting a replacement for my pc but there are so many options with ipads,phones etc that it confuses me…Luddites rule!Webshots closed down and all my posted pics were zapped-a pain and waste of time so will not be posting them again or using cloud services…"everything you post can and will be used against you in a court of law.if you cannot afford an attorney one can be provided…blah blah blah".Tech creates lots of problems especially privacy.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools