Topic

How small can I stuff my quilt? (Liters)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How small can I stuff my quilt? (Liters)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I have a 30 deg EE wide with 1 oz overfill. It's the 10d version and weighs 19.1 ounces.

I tried a 10.5l stuff sack but am pressed to volume in my pack. Will a 7 liter be okay for the 850 clusters?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I use a zpacks medium cuben drysak, and just squeeze and roll mine down as much as wanted. I think it weighs 0.77 oz.

My 40F quilt weighs 16oz and stuffs to the size of a cantaloupe when needed. I can fit all my clothing /insulation in there too if I try.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

If you are asking if you will damage the down, the answer is pretty unequivocally: no! I have a 30 – 40 year old down bag that I squeeze down to the smallest possible size every time I pack it. You just can't store down in a compressed state for an extended period of time (same is true with man made fibers).

If you are asking if the that quilt will fit in that volume bag, I can't answer even though I have that same quilt. I have found it is more space efficient to pack my quilt loosely at the bottom of my backpack and then pack everything else on top to compress it down. The bag might not end up as compressed but it takes up all that gaps that would otherwise be underutilized.

K P
    BPL Member

@schado6

Just curious, for down and Man-made. I am packing my new quilt loose in bottom as well. I packed Sunday for a trip starting this Friday (not enough hours in the day to do it the night before). To stay on thread, i did weigh it this weekend and stuffed it into a small plastic grocery bag so I could weigh it, I think I could get it into an even smaller bag if tried, but agree, finding it makes more sense to pack loose then in own sack as fills in the bottom of my ULA nicely and pack everything else on top of it..

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

squash away!! I believe in stuffing down hard. Ive not had problems and for all the years ive been making quilts never had anyone's quilt go flat (and tell me about it)

-Tim

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Tim, what are your thoughts on synthetics, do they lose loft with compression and use?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Synthetics are totally different. Loose stuff in pack and compress only as much as needed. Over compression will destroy them.

-Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools