Topic

Cuben Lone Peak – Ruta Locura

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben Lone Peak – Ruta Locura

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Anyone have/use one of these from Ruta Locura? Seems very impressive – 9'x10.5' floor, 5'5" high, 18 oz., 60 sq ft of coverage. You can even use a stove in it if you want.

Interested in hearing your thoughts about this as a winter shelter.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

like to hear user experience too.

Reminds me of the Laufbursche Lavvu.

Edit: Spelling

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Reminds me of the Titanium Goat Vertex 5.5…

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

like father like son…

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

In the photos on the Ruta Locura site it seems to be pitched right to the ground. I assume it can be pitched higher for ventilation?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I assume it can be pitched higher for ventilation?"

Yes, according to Josh. It takes a bit of practice, he says, but once you have it down it's not that difficult.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a silynylon version from Titanium Goat (or Seek Outside, i don't remember anymore and they all look so similar). It's a bit of a pain. Best way i've tried so far, is to attach a half foot of cord or so to each tie out, stake it a bit loose, and raise the pole up higher than you normally do.

These kinds of tents do have condensation issues for sure, even with the peak vent open and the lower part of the door open. Raising it up a bit helps, but then bugs are a potential issue then.

But i do really like the option of burning a stove in it.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

What kind of winter??

I have an eight man tipi from kifaru. This is essentially the same thing made out of cuben. I love my tipi for Snow camping in the Sierras. Espically with the stove. yes condensation is an issue in the winter but with a stove it is not. I can get the inside of our tipi to 70 degrees pretty easy when outside is 15-20 with the stove going. Condensation can be an issue in any sleep system in that weather though. Ive seen condensation form on the inside of a tarp. You cant get much more ventalated than that.

As for setting up the tent so that the bottom is not connected to the ground- I wouldn't do it. If a gust of wind shoots up under the bottom you could lose your shelter. Especially in the mountains in the winter. Other wise ours has stood up to 40-50 mph gusts. The only thing that tent doesnt do well is take a snow load. you should pay attention to the walls of the ten at night if it is snowing hard. You will need to go out periodically to clear snow off the sides. I have woken up to an aluminum pole bent over like a cresent moon because of this.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

"I have a silynylon version from Titanium Goat (or Seek Outside, i don't remember anymore and they all look so similar). "

Titanium Goat make conical shelters with a slightly oval floor and the pole towards the entry point (so that side is more vertical )
    The Ruta Locura looks of that,TiGoat, design to me.

Seek Outside and Kifaru (that I know of) have a circular floor with the pole in the center.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Titanium Goat make conical shelters with a slightly oval floor and the pole towards the entry point"

The Lone Peak is a pole forward design.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

"The Lone Peak is a pole forward design."
    Yes, I was looking at the design , Peter was looking at the fabric…
    BTW, there is no Vertex 5.5 but Josh would have understood what I meant by that.

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

I have the Tigoat Vertex 5 with their cylinder stove. Its a great hot tent for one or cold tent for two. I stake mine close to the ground as it was designed. Condensation is similar to other single wall tents except when the stove is going. (it dries things out nicely). I prefer it over my Duomid when sleeping two people.tigoat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools