Topic

pack fabric: 140D or cuben hybrid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pack fabric: 140D or cuben hybrid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Well, im not working right now so I have a lot of free time so i thought id try my hand again at some more myog stuff.
    So im looking to make a small pack similar to a murmur or burn in the 7-13oz range.

looking at

140D 3.5oz $29yrd

cuben hybrid 2.92oz $39yrd

pros/cons?

thoughts?

thanks

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

There are two ways a pack could fail.

1. Seams ripping – This is going to be caused by either the thread or the fabric around it ripping. For lighter loads both fabrics are plenty tough. The real question will be whether you do the stitching neatly with the right thread.

2. Fabric ripping – Both fabrics should be fairly tear resistant. I'm pretty sure the Cuben hybrid would be less abrasion resistant. So if you plan on dragging it over rocks I'd go with 140D (or 210 D). Otherwise I'd guess they'd be about equal.

Both of those are kinda pricey fabrics. I'd try some Xpac first. Its a bit heavier but perfectly good and cheaper. Don't use the heavier Xpac for starps or hipbelts however, its too stiff.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Out of these two fabrics, the real advantage of the cuben hybrid is that it's basically waterproof. If you hike it wet locales or packraft then that's valuable. If not, I'd go 140D because they're close in weight, the 140D is cheaper and it's got a nicer feel to it. If you go cuben hybrid, I'd look at the 3.3oz out stuff rather than the 2.9, because that has a significantly more substantial outer polyester layer.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

200D Oxford from owfinc.com is $5 a yard. Maybe 4 ounces/yd2. Other places have similar. If a pack takes 1.5 yd2, it might weigh an extra ounce or two. That will never fail. But the cost of the fabric isn't that much more because you don't use very much and maybe you should use the good stuff if you're going to spend your time making it.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

The hybrid stuff is more bomber by a significant margin IMO.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

thx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools