Topic

Winter travel tool

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter travel tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Winter is officially over but I'm wondering if anyone carries a multi tool when snowshoeing or skiing for on-the-trail repairs.

I carry a small Gerber multi tool and a bit that fits the Posi-Drive screw heads.
    When snowshoeing I carry some heavy duty tie-wraps for binding or deck repair. Pulling them tight with a multi tool pliers and cutting the tail off makes a more secure repair.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Which Gerber multitool?

Ashley Laurence
    BPL Member

@timdaman

I carry a Leatherman Juice S2. I haven't had to use it much but this last winter the crampons on my snowshoes blew up. I was able to awl holes in the foot harness and sew the crampon back on using stainless steel wire I carry. The have used the phillips head on the screws in my cross country skis but only as a test.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Large Leatherman tool. May need to look at my Micra now that I no longer take it regular backpacks.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I carry a Leatherman Kick in winter.

No particular reason why I bought that one vs another other than it is small, fits in my pack easily and has some tools I've actually used in winter. (Emergency binding repairs to my skis once, repairs to snowshoes a couple of times, and one memorable time involved undoing a frozen lock that was on a 10th mountain hut. We had to unscrew the latch that the lock was attached to. The last group someone froze the inside of the lock and the combo did not work. Good times. :) )

The big reason, though? Target happen to have it on sale at the time! ;-)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

John, my Gerber multi tool is the "standard" version in a Cordura belt sheath with several extra screwdriver bits including a Pos-Drive bit for ski binding screws.

I dont' carry the sheath to keep weight down, Extra driver bits go in a snack Zip Loc bag.

I may buy the lightest medium sized version I can find, a skeletonize handle version.
    Too bad they don't make a Ti version (except for the knife blade).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools