Topic

Patagonia Houdini’s Deluge DWR questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Houdini’s Deluge DWR questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

It seems like the Houdini is a very popular and common piece of gear here, so hopefully i will get some feedback about this. I was mainly wondering how long can one realistically expect the DWR to last on this if fairly constantly used?

When i bought the Brooks LSD II jacket, i hadn't realized that the Houdini had a special and unusually long lasting DWR treatment. If i had known that, i would have just gone with the Houdini right off despite the extra cost.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Long lasting DWR? Huh.
    I love the Houdini, but I couldn't testify to it even having a DWR.
    Seems to wet-out in light rain or from brushing against wet vegetation awfully quick to me…but then I don't expect it to protect me from water: its a wind shirt.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Craig,

I don't have any experience either way, so can't say really, but from what i've read here and other places recently, it's supposed to have a Epic like DWR that is long lasting. Not necessarily long lasting during an actual use, but can be refreshed many times without needing to reapply more DWR.

Perhaps you got a lemon? Either way, thanks for the feedback. If others say similar, i guess my Brooks choice wasn't that bad then.

Tuan Cao

@zurich

My 2012 Houdini was a lemon. Left arm had no DWR.
    I received a replacement, the 2013 Houdini last at least 30min in light/normal rain. Its so good that I don't even bother bringing my hard shell if I don't expect heavy rain.

Marc Loomis
    Spectator

@th12t33n

God i hope i dont have a lemon, ordered from Mountaingear for 55$ havent gotten to test it out yet actually have to send it back for a larger size.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I've worn the same monkey-vomit yellow houdini for the past three years. It is now patched in spots, but the DWR finish still seems as good as when I purchased it. I wash it frequently in sports wash, give it a quick tumble in the dryer, and it's good to go.

I used to hope it would wear out on me, but I think I'm finally starting to embrace the garishness of it. It is sometimes a welcome splash of color in an otherwise monochromatic world.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

With proper care and feeding (ie washing, thorough rinsing, a bit of heat to reactivate) the DWR will last for a very long time. My original (2005ish) Houdini still had a fully functional DWR when I sold it last year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for the feedback folks. So far, sounds a bit conflicting, but that might be due to the occasional lemons factor.

Me too Marc, me too, as i also ordered one from there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools