Topic

MSR piezo igniter vs. Mini Bic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR piezo igniter vs. Mini Bic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Guy Trek
    BPL Member

@trek_guy

I found it interesting that the standalone piezo igniter that is bundled with the MSR Microrocket weighs 0.5 oz., while a Mini Bic with plastic insert removed weighs a bit less at 0.4 oz.

Question: even if the Mini Bic runs out of fuel, won't the igniter mechanism create a spark and more or less function just like the MSR piezo igniter?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Yes, but I think the benefit of the piezo lighter is that the spark is further away from your hand and therefore much less chance to get burned.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The Mini Bic is dual purpose for me. Besides making fire, I can count the number of days that I've been out starting my stove by how much hair is burned off the back of my right hand.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

And Bob is left handed! :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It gets more confusing with a white gas stove, because the initial flare takes out all of the hair on the back of my right hand in one puff. Then I can't keep track of days.

All of that is useful, though. It makes the "Stove Is Lit, Dummy" indicator.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

white gas stove – takes off eyebrows also

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Before piezo, I carried two mini BIC's. Now, I carry just one — as backup. So the piezo is 0.1 oz heavier…. but it's cool and fun to use. :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools