Topic

Roll top closure, where to get plastic strip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Roll top closure, where to get plastic strip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Austin Lundquist

@alundquist

Hello, modding my osprey exos to a roll top, where could I get the thin plastic strips to put through the top? Also, where is a good place to buy a buckle? Thanks!

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

This is where I buy all my plastic buckles and other stuff from – http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/products-page/

For the roll top, I just used the plastic from an old notebook and cut it to shape. If it's not long enough, you can overlap the ends and just tape it…since it'll be covered by fabric, it shouldn't matter.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

HDPE gallon jugs are a quick and easy source of good plastic. Cut a strip vertically from the bottom to the top. A heat gun, hair dryer, or oven on 250ish, will relax the plastic, place something flat and heavy on top to straighten while it cools.

Recycling code for HDPE is "2", found on the bottom of the container btw.

;)

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you have a TAP plastics near by, they have a huge selection of plastic you can buy, including hdpe, abs, etc etc.

But as others have said, just recycle :)

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Fat zip-ties from a bike shop. Lots of bikes come packed from the factory with foam padding attached to the frame with fat zip-ties. Just call a shop and ask the bike-builder to save a few long ones for you.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

similar to the fat zip ties are the packing straps used on large cardboard boxes. Most are too thin but you can usually find some thicker ones.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

+1 Dustin, great use of packing straps, perfect size and thickness.

Austin Lundquist

@alundquist

Thanks guys! Ill
    Keep my eye out for something than

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

Flexible cutting board? You can find them for cheap in stores or online, and there are varying thicknesses and sizes to tailor for your needs.

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

Locale: Midwest, US

+2 Dustin

I keep an eye out for the wider ones (+ 1/2"). A great source is copy paper boxes (although many paper manufactures have begun using super thin straps and not the heavier duty ones) and a lot of appliance boxes. If you have any stores or delivery centers close by that sell and deliver appliances, they probably have a dumpster full of straps.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Take a large PET soda bottle (2 litre or thereabouts). Cut a spiral strip from the sidewall.

That's it…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools