Topic

REI Flash 45 + SoLite Ridgerest Short

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Flash 45 + SoLite Ridgerest Short

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hi all,

I settled on a RR and an REI Flash 45 for an upcoming weekend trip but I'm having trouble figuring out to combine the two. When I bought the Flash I thought there were multiple lash points on the bottom (2 in front, 2 in back) that I could use to juryrig the pad to the bottom. I found out there's a set of 4 across the bottom (2 higher up and 2 at the very bottom) Now I'm not quite sure what to. Anyone have any ideas?

I've thought about…
    – Sticking it under the lid
    – Sticking it down one of the sides (losing a water bottle pouch

I'd like to avoid putting it inside the main compartment – I'm not sure it will fit with my gear. Thanks!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Since the Flash 45 has a pretty flimsy frame I think putting the pad inside the pack is a good idea if it will fit. You might try rolling it up loosely an putting it around the outside of the pack. Pack everything inside that.

On one trip I tried folding my RR and it was too bulky. Then I tried rolling it and it was fine.

Putting it on top under the lid might be another good strategy. When you stop to take a break you can just sit on it.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Luke, thanks for the tip – I'll try making it into a cylinder for a frame and see how it does.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

If it doesn't fit inside, I'd probably go with under the lid.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Rolling it is more space efficient because you should only one or two layers of foam. Its pretty easy for the stuff inside to push the foam out so very little space is wasted. A folded or tightly rolled pad tents to waste some space.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

I should line the pack with it or stick it on the outside somehow? I think your post said outside but I was thinking I'd line the pack with it…inside or outside of my trash compactor bag? Ha, I'm having trouble visualizing this for some reason!

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I think he was suggesting what you had thought of: try sticking it inside with the trash compactor bag inside of the "burrito" formed by the mat. I roll a mat tightly to stick it easily inside the pack, then start unrolling it and letting it unravel to fill up the very edges of the pack.

If it won't fit inside I'd try under the top lid.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Sorry I wasn't clear. The rolled pad goes INSIDE the pack. But the pad will be up against the walls of the pack. Does that make sense? Your pack liner can go either inside the pad or outside it. I doubt the RR would absorb much water if it rained.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools