Topic

Hanging food to prevent Mice/Rodents from pillaging

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Hanging food to prevent Mice/Rodents from pillaging

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I once read about a technique to prevent critters from crawling down the line of your hung food-sack, but I'm not sure if it actually works, so I'm curious to hear of peoples experiences. I recall the technique was to have a disc of some short suspended in the middle of the line, around the halfway point between the branch and the food bag–the idea being that a rodent could crawl down the line to the disc, but then get stuck since it wouldn't be able to traverse the disc and back onto the line. Sound familiar to anyone?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

If you hike on the AT you will see these used in almost every shelter

Hang

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Thanks for the visual, much appreciated.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

If your bag isn't too large, the top of a 2-liter plastic Coke bottle above the bag will help and it's super light weight. Keep the cap and it can be used as a water scoop as well.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I made a flat disc from a pie pan that I put above the clip that held my food bag. Don't know if a critter ever tried.

I haven't used it since those 10 days in the Smokies since I now use an Opsak inside an Outsak.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

mouse trapezes they are called
    they can get them swinging and jump from one, onto another if its too close

Sometimes you get a show with your lodging, the little guys can be real entertaining
    and persistent
    and successful
    If they can drop onto your foodbag and get a grip with their little claws, they will do that.

If you are tired enough, you give up and just hope they dont eat too much.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools