Topic

Sleeping Comfort

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Sleeping Comfort

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Today I was at REI and made a discovery. I could be on the thickest heaviest most comfortable pad they have in the store but if I dont have a pillow under my head im not comfortable. I also found out that I could rest just fine on a Zlite as long as i had a pillow.

So what I figured out today is that "my" sleeping comfort has little do do with the pad and more to do with my pillow. This will save me weight.

Just because I would like to see what you all think about when you're getting your bed time kit- What does your sleeping comfort depend on most? why?

Ps I bought a pillow

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

For me the pillow is very important. Less so for my wife. YMMV

Cheers

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Pillow is critical, head has to be high enough but without enough padding under my hips and shoulders (side sleeper) the pillow becomes secondary.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

roger- I was actually surprised by this pillow thing. I never understood why I was so uncomfortable all the time. I used to try to use a stuff sack and some unused gear as a pillow but in the summer I wear all my cloths to bed so my pillow is uaually an empty back pack(not comfortable). so Im planning on getting a short closed cell ridge rest(9oz) to go with the Ul pillow I just bought. Should be really comfortable for me.

Bottom line is I always thought of a pillow as extra not needed weight.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

How many hours did you lie on the ZLite? That might make just a little difference.

Agree on importance of a pillow.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Stephen- 8 hours……I wanted to be sure. and I like hanging out in REI. They have 50% off almost all their beanies right now.

HElinTexas C
    BPL Member

@helintexas

I am a side sleeper as well. I CANNOT sleep well if I do not have a pillow that keeps my head relatively parallel with my spine.

I can't do it at home either. I had to go to memory foam pillow to stop having neck and shoulder aches. I currently have a thermorest pillow that works great but is kinda weighty. I am looking for one that works as well but is lighter.

I had to do a head slap when I finally bought myself a pillow and slept so much better. I was in Utah and was about to start my second bping trip of my vacation and stopped by a outdoor shop to pick up some cliff bars. I bought the pillow on a whim after being uncomfortable again the previous nights. LOVED it.

Anyone have recommendations for a pillow with good support that is ultra light, BTW?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I like the Exped (larger size).

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Are we talking about a normal type pillow (bp size) or a air pillow which I find too hard? I have neck issues and usually throw my neck out more on bp trips to the point I'm in pain most of the week, but bping is something I enjoy, so it won't be given up to spare my neck pain. I find if I can keep my head level or in line with my body I'll be ok, just using gear usually does not work. I may have to gear.
    Duane

Nelson Sherry

@nsherry61

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley

I use anything softish I can find and put it in a stuff sack.
    Inflated 2 L platapus bottle
    rain gear
    sun hat
    unworn cloths
    unused shelter/cordage
    various bunches of plant matter
    shoes (only as part of a bottom support layer)

Fleece is my favorite, but, I'm normally wearing it if I have it along.

What I need is a couple of inches of support with at least the top few inches soft. Heck, a rock or small log with a soft layer of cloths on top might even work although I've never tried it.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Josh, you're awesome! 8 hours lying on a mat in an REI store! They should have given you the mat and pillow for free!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on a pillow. I discovered it car camping when I tool a full sized pillow and slept well. I agree that a basic pad is fine if I have a good pillow.

The next step up is a hammock (and a pillow).

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

+1 to Nelson's style. I use the inflated 2L platy fairly often to fill the bottom of the stuff bag.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I like a decent size pillow so put some clothes in an Exped Snozzle pump bag and put a buff ovef the bag.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I take the Gossamer Gear sitlight pad (which doubles as the back pad for my packs that use one, and as a sit pad in camp, so more than one use!), add about a foot of another old sitlight pad (less than an ounce, and big enough for a second sit pad if you needed one), roll them up and put them in a Sea to Summit XS (2.5L) stuff sack (which is also used to carry things in, so double use). Makes a nice, firm but giving pillow that's the perfect size to keep my head in line with my spine when side sleeping, and is a great neck/head pillow when sleeping on my back. The whole thing weighs less than 3 oz., with more than 2 oz. of it pulling double duty. It gives just enough to be comfortable, but stays firm enough to keep the head/spine in line throughout the night.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I ended up settling on the Montbell pillow (2.4 oz, I believe). I tried balled up insulation(ended up needing to wear to extend my UL sleep system); balled up clothing in a stuff sack(UL ethos ends up not providing for enough of either); and the platy full of water(gets really cold, I now carry mainly reused liter water bottles). I also tried the medical pillows you inflate with a straw BPL used to sell. Pro – weigh .5oz; Con – not comfortable at all. Also tried bubble wrap. Pro – light and fairly comfortable since you can kind of shape it to create chambers. Con – very bulky.

For 2.4 oz, the Montbell does the job. Chambers are the key for pillows for me.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I normally sleep in all of my clothes, so I bring a pillow. I avoided bringing a pillow for the longest time until I saw a pillow at REI that only weighed around 2 oz (I had always assumed that they were heavier). It was instantly added to my pack.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

I bought a cocoon hyperlite insulated pillow, its ony 2.4 ounces and is soft. I laid on it again this weekend to make sure I like the ridge rest(Turns out i had one cut already) pillow combo. I might change out the ridge rest for the Kymit short pad.(saves space but not weight).

Also picked up a half dome 2 tent, and an osprey baby carrier backpack- The tent should work really well in a footprint rain fly set up for me and my girl(3 lbs). plus I got it all for free(ish) with my dividend and the fact that I had to return a soto stove and BD trekking poles I used once and hated.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I am willing to carry what it takes to ensure I can sleep well. For me, this boils down to a thick air pad (currently a BA-insulated) and my "pillow", which is my down puffy, wrapped in my long-sleeve shirt and stuffed into the pillow pocket in my BA bag.

In the rare case where I know I will certainly not wear the puffy, I still carry it for pillow use. It's 13 oz. and I'm worth it. :)

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I HAVE TO HAVE a pillow or I won't be able to move my head the next morning. And I need a softer pad that a foam pad (I use a BA IAC). I guess I'm getting old…

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

I've tried a few different camping/backpacking pillows, but so far it has been stuffing a micro fleece pullover and tying it up with the arms, that gives me the most stable and comfortable pillow. So, for me, there is still a lot of room for improvement in the backpacking pillow marketplace.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a fleecy motorcycle helmet sack that i stuff my down jacket in, if it's not too cold, for my pillow–most comfortable so far. Also made a pillow with Pertex Equilibrium fabric, stuffed with Kapok, and one side also lined with a very sheer silk on top of the Pertex. Not quite big enough and not quite stuffed enough to be truly comfortable, but will more or less work.

Yes, head comfort is very important, nothing worse than a kinked neck!

Now, if i could just get my wife to stop snoring so loudly…. possibly the reason why i tend to prefer solo trips a bit over couple trips…?

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Just use ear plugs, that's what I do!

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

For me it's the pillow and a mat that lets me turn over restlessly without my elbows and hips digging into the ground… Air mats just don't work for me.

Given how much I love my sleep, I pay a weight penalty for both these things. I use a full length Prolite Plus and a Mountain Designs (aussie company I think) Stretch Pillow that weighs more than some BPL members' shelters :) But very comfy for me.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Pillow is about %60 for me, with hip about %35 more.

Try out Mike Clellands method – didn't see anyone mention it above, though sort of the logical conclusion of Jim's post. Bring a bunch of quart ziplocks. Fill with air and stuff sack. Mike says he uses 7 of these, but modify to taste. I thought they would pop open but it really works. The multiple bags break up the feeling your head is balanced on a balloon. Gives your stuff sack pillow immediate and adjustable girth. Modify with any clothes you have available. My worry was always that I would need to wear all my clothes one night, and I'm already using my backpack for my legs. Shove half a dozen of so ziploc bags into the sack that will be my pillow and problem solved.

If you want to go one further use the ziplocks with one the available fleece-lined stuff sacks as your pillow – mine is a 1.6 Oz small Thermarest pillow stuff sack.

Plus you get brownie points since all the ingredient are multi-use :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools