Topic

Nice day hike near Salt Lake City?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Nice day hike near Salt Lake City?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    BPL Member

@supro

Locale: Adirondacks

I'm traveling out to Utah for work in two weeks and I'm going to have some time on my last day to squeeze in a hike. I'll be flying in and out of Salt Lake City, and I'm taking a 4:00 pm flight home on my last day, so I was hoping to find a nice day hike relatively close to the airport that I could get an early start on (at the trail by 6 am or so) and be back to my hotel around noon to give me time to shower and get to the airport on time. Any suggetions? Thanks!

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

Well, there is still snow in the mountains in Salt Lake, so a lot of the hikes high in the canyons will be iffy.

I might recommend Grandeur Peak which begins at the Church Fork trailhead up Millcreek canyon. It should be easy to look up. There is an west-facing access to this peak that is much more strenuous.

There is also Ferguson canyon in the Olympus cove area but I image that it will be snowed-in up higher so snow shoes may be necessary.

Another popular hike is Mount Olympus. The trailhead is easy to find, even for an out-of-towner. It is popular with locals for convenience. Again, there may be issues with snow and the last part of the hike is a scramble to make things worse.

These are few off the top of my head. Good luck!

Dan
    BPL Member

@supro

Locale: Adirondacks

Thanks for the reply! I ended up hiking Grandeur Peak and it turned out to be a great choice. It was close to where I was staying in SLC, wasn't too long or too short in length, and provided some excellent scenery.

Sara Marchetti
    BPL Member

@smarchet

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully the snow wasn't too bad up there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools