Topic

Lightweight Jacket 3 seasons?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lightweight Jacket 3 seasons?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

I was attempting to lighten up my pack from last year & thought paying attention to some of my larger items might be a great place to start.

My present "jacket" I pack comes in at 18.3oz, it isn't even a jacket, it is a fleece shirt, but I can sleep in it too, so I went with it last season. I found this Montbell U.L.THERMAWRAP JACKET coming in at 9.3oz, but figured there might be another option. Any opinions on this jacket??

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301161

The 2013 SUL Black Rock Vest remains unable still, but at 4.0oz, it is a pretty good choice. I wish they made a jacket version.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The Montbell Thermawrap is a really popular jacket and you won't go wrong with it. People like that it uses synthetic insulation and isn't thus as sensitive to moisture.

I have a Montbell Ex-Light down jacket that I use in the shoulder seasons. It's a little lighter (in XXL it's only 7.8 ounces). I wear it around camp in the evenings and in the mornings and, if it's really cold, open it up and use it as another quilt over me in my hammock while I sleep.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like to take my REI Kimtah eVent parka and Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (in my avatar) for higher altitude hiking in western mountains. This combination is very versatile.

The eVent parka is good for wind, rain or snow. The down jacket fits beneath B/C I got the parka one size larger. The down jacket also extends my WM Megalite bag's temperature range.

Sooo… a "3 season jacket" to me means aa WPB laminate parka that is the shell for insulating layers. Those insulating layers vary by season, altitude and latitude.

Jason Torres
    BPL Member

@burytherails

Locale: Texas

Kevin,

I have the montbell ul jkt and it is one of my beloved pieces. It has taken a beating and besides a quick repair or two has served me well. Maybe better than any other piece I own. It is a great investment.

If you are like me I run hot and sleep hot = my 3 season system is pretty bare bones. I rarely take more than a light merino base layer, montbell ul, and rab demand pull-on.

In camp and sleeping usually have the ul on and if it's slightly more chilly I will just put the demand on over for added warmth. The demand is a super light Event jkt. You should look it up. No longer in production (broke my heart) but you can still find some here and there with a quick search

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools