Topic

Inverted V Duomid users: pole jack length?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inverted V Duomid users: pole jack length?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Need some folks with experience here. Got a section of pipe from the hardware store to experiment and did some cutting. 12"/25cm wasn't quite long enough with 140cm poles, IMO. Wondering what length you use (or total length of jacks + your poles) and if you have longer jacks for higher pitches in summer.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I use GG fixed length poles(120cm)and 16 inch pole jacks from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs. This combo works great for me.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

hmmmmm my BD poles when extended to just a tiny bit past the STOP mark are 137 cm and I'm using 12" pole jacks and find them to be just right

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Seems a little off, right? From reading prior threads I thought 12" would be perfect, but the pitch wasn't as taut as it seemed it should be. I tried some different combinations and 16" jacks with my poles at 130cm gives the best pitch with poles at maximum width. Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

Steve Schmid
    BPL Member

@thegreatunwashed

resurrecting an old thread but what material are you using for your DIY pole jacks? Is it PVC pipe?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

resurrecting an old thread but what material are you using for your DIY pole jacks? Is it PVC pipe?

Carbon fiber or Aluminum.

I have not tried PVC myself for this purpose, but in other applications I have noticed that PVC can warp over time, and that’s with much larger diameter pipe. I’m guessing that a small-diameter PVC pipe might warp rather quickly. But maybe somebody has used this and it works fine…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools