Topic

Rugged waterproof cameras with excellent image quality

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Rugged waterproof cameras with excellent image quality

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

If you trust DPReview they just did a big comparison of the top Rugged waterproof cameras, and they panned the image quality on virtually every one of them.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2013-waterproof-roundup

I'm in agreement that the lens quality matters most. Big megapixels is marketing mostly.
    You can't have a quality lens on a tiny camera. No free lunch.

The Olympus OM body is weatherproof but not submersible, not light weight, and not cheap.
    But the image quality is there, with proper lens selection for the occasion.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Of course the Oly is submersible. To 15 meters.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

" Of course the Oly is submersible. To 15 meters."
    I did not see submersible anywhere for the OM-D E-M5 in the specs.
    It is water/splashproof, but perhaps we were not thinking of the same camera.
    It is 15+ oz without the lens and has an available 12-50mm weather sealed lens available. $900 body only or about 1300 with that lens.
    It would take pro-level shots, but so would a few other models in that weight category.
    I have a Lumix G2 which is not waterproof so if I upgrade I will have to stick with the Leica lenses and get the GH3 body which is weather sealed (and VERY expensive).
    Then I would need the special weather sealed wide angle lens at about $899.
    Still too heavy though, which is why I went down this same road as the OP -looking for a good pocket cam to save weight.

If you are not trying to get 8X10 enlargements with high detail, if you will be doing mostly snapshot, facebook, smaller prints , then get the Panasonic TS5D.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

The Olympus TG-2 is their waterproof tough camera, not the OM.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I thought you were talking about the TG-2, sorry.

I own the OM-D, and you're right, it is not submersible. But it does great in the rain and as long as you have one of the weatherproofed lenses, it does well getting wet. It wasn't meant to be submersed. (unless you get the waterproof housing)

And for what it can do, I don't think it is expensive at all. It's basically a high quality DSLR equivalent with micro-four thirds sensor. A pocket cam doesn't even remotely compare in quality of images or control. It may not be as light as a pocket cam, but it is half the weight of a typical DSLR, very compact, and gives you similar quality to a DSLR. After all the different digital cameras I've used over the years after my earlier love affair with manual film cameras, it is the first camera that has brought back the joy of getting out there and losing yourself in taking photos. I hated the slow focusing, slow reading, terrible low-light abilities, fast battery drain, LED screen viewing, clumsiness of all my compact digicams (though I still very much love my Ricoh GXR, in terms of stunning image quality and absolutely beautiful UI). The size and ability of the OM-D is the perfect compromise.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Haven't followed this thread, but did anyone mention using a fully waterproof case with a high-quality camera? I just purchased a Sony RX-100 and hope to get a waterproof case when the prices drops (currently over $300, I'm willing to spend $150).

(Edit: I now see the Meikon for as low as $170…getting close…)

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

" I just purchased a Sony RX-100 and hope to get a waterproof case"

I have that camera and purchased a Chinese made case marked Meikon (or something similar). Was skeptical when ordering, but it has been excellent. It's well made and all the functions work well – though I mainly just set the camera in automatic mode when snorkeling with it.

Obviously it's quite a bit bulkier than the RX100 w/out a case, but you have a fully waterproof set up at about the same size as a DSLR.

For images on par with the ruggedized point and shoot cameras I just wrap my iphone in a lifeproof case.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools