Topic

NeoAir XTherm Shortened?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
todd BPL Member
PostedMar 26, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I haven't seen where someone has shortened one and am wondering if it's because the top and bottom aren't both made of the same type of nylon, like the other Neo's are (according to the mftr website).

Is this why I haven't seen it? Or have I missed it? I really want a 6' w/extra width than the regular size.

Thanks,
Todd

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Complete guess on my part – Even if they have different weight nylons on top/bottom, I doubt they would change the method of sealing the two fabrics. Seems like this would require more tooling at the factory and wouldn't be necessary. I think it's just that hefty $180 price tag that is deterring folks. I've only seen (2) Xlite's shortened so far.

Ryan

todd BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Yeah I agree Ryan. I'm just scared! Cutting up something that $$$$ scares me without knowing for sure.

It's not just different weight nylons, it's that the mftr describes them as different TYPES of nylon. I assume it wouldn't matter, but my Dad taught me early on what assuming can do!

Mike M BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Todd- when you're done let us know so I can then shorten mine :)

Mike

todd BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Ha Mike!! Thanks for your confidence :)

Did I mention I'm scared???

Hiking Malto BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Given the xtherm is used when you need high R why would you ever want to shorten it? Seems counterproductive. I ended up ordering a short xlite today. My main reason was to save the xtherm for the cold months and put more nights on the cheaper (and lighter) xlite.

PostedMar 27, 2013 at 6:29 pm

He wants to cut a large Xtherm down because it is the only size that comes in at 25” wide. However, it'll be unnecessarily long, hence the cutting down to 6' in length.

Here There BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hi Todd,

Do you own or have you used a large XTherm? The taper on the long pad is pretty aggressive, so that inflated you would only be taking off a rounded section roughly 4"x14" to make it a 6' pad (not including allowance for resealing), so I doubt there would be significant weight savings to offset the risk.

If you haven't tried one yet I bet you would be happy with the large size unmodified.

-David

todd BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Thanks David.

No, but I've used a Reg. Xtherm w/same taper. I was worried about the length more than weight in some shelters – do you know the width at the foot end?

Erik Dietz BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I just cut down my xlite last night. I was worried as well since the outside material felt different then my original neoair. However, it worked just fine.
One recommendation…measure the length you want and then cut a couple baffles lower. It gives you a little space in case you make a mistake. Plus the pad, once inflated, shrinks in length a little. Have fun!

Here There BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Inflated it's only about 76" to the very tip, and the last 4" almost immediately round off towards the end from a 14" width.

-David

Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedMar 27, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Once cut how do you seal it? And how strong is the seal? A wide 6 ft xtherm would be nice.

todd BPL Member
PostedMar 28, 2013 at 7:21 am

EJ,

That's basically what I was asking in the OP. I'm curious if the iron will seal it like the other NeoAir's, or ruin it instead.

PostedMar 28, 2013 at 8:02 am

What about instead of cutting, fold a few inches of the top end back over itself. This would give you a built-in air pillow for your head and cut down on functional length. I have seen this discussed, the only person who said they actually tried this said it worked. The horizontal baffles on this pad would seem to make a fold easier than vertical baffles would. Might need to duct tape the fold permanently in place to get it to hold well, otherwise could try bungee or paracord.

Not something I've done, just an out-of-the-box suggestion.

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedMar 28, 2013 at 10:10 am

"It's not just different weight nylons, it's that the mftr describes them as different TYPES of nylon. I assume it wouldn't matter, but my Dad taught me early on what assuming can do!"

True, but the nylons aren't what is creating the seal, it's the TPU layer that's laminated to the nylon. Or at least that's my assumption for the Xtherm! I just can't imagine they would use different sealing techniques for the Xtherm vs the Xlite.

I think this is the part of the thread where some heavy peer pressure is needed. :)

Ryan

PostedJun 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Has anyone actually broken down and took a swipe at their X-Therm yet? I'm contemplating doing so in the next week or so.

PostedJul 21, 2013 at 3:34 am

Suluk 460 illustrates in his You Tube video how to cut a few grams off a regular Neo Air pad;

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY )

not to be out-crazied I tried it with my Neo Air Xtherm – guess what, it works!

Go forth gram weenies and chop away. My XL Xtherm, with all the luxury of its additional 100mm (4”) of width is now 1.2m (4ft) long and weighs 320grams (11 ounces?) I also have 220 grams of patching material left over.

Caution – the silver space blanket type layers inside are susceptible to heat damage, so do not iron on a patch if you puncture an Xtherm, it could result in your inner layers getting all stuck together and destroy the pad's shape – best use adhesive supplied.

PostedOct 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm

So Andy… You shortened your XTherm the same way as in the utube video… just heat with an iron only.. no adhesive or anything? I too have a L and want to take some length off.. just want to be 100% sure on the method

thanks

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Loading...