Topic

LWD-UL Pack Raft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals LWD-UL Pack Raft

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

As many of you know, I have tried to get a light weight pack raft to market, for several years now. Here it is!

Presale price is good through the 8th of April.

http://rutalocura.com/LWD.html

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello

What is weight capacity?

THANKS

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Good question, ~250lbs, maybe more.

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

Klymit told me 350 lbs, enough for person and their gear.

Good job, Josh! Glad you had a lot to do with this! Flyfishermen have needed something like this ever since Curtis Designs quit making a decent light raft for alpine lakes.

Charlie

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Any trekking pole/paddle options?

Matt

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Hard to argue with 25oz – that's amazing for a calm water boat.

Regarding paddles, Alpacka's trekking pole blades are darn light (3oz) and good for fishing. You can figure out ways to make them work with other brands of poles, or use Alpacka's full 'Ninja' setup for 15oz.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Dan,
    That Alpacka paddle is almost as much as the raft…..ouch.
    That said, looks perfect.

M

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Is your UL version the same exact dimensions as the Klymit one, but just in a lighter fabric?

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Exact same size, and features, as the regular Klymit LWD, just constructed with lighter fabric. The Klymit LWD uses 210 denier fabric, while the LWD-UL uses 75 denier fabric, similar to what the old Curtis designs rafts were constructed from.

I would say that 350lbs number is a very top end number.

The Alpacka paddles would be an awesome way to go. I plan on doing some hand paddles in the future also.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Josh, this looks great.
    I'm glad I waited (held off on a Flyte, it had the same issues you are trying to solve).

I do wish you would add a couple tie off loops fore and aft, for a bow or stern anchor line. the slightest wind will blow these things all over the lake. You need a bow or stern option so you don't have to cast backwards and have to look over your shoulder to fish, if the wind is blowing the wrong direction; and I'm not talking about very much wind (even a small breeze will turn the boat around).

And some "Velcro like" hold downs for the rod or paddle when not in use. I use a real paddle because I like to be able to move quickly when the fish move (or when they are not where I'm at but I can see where they are and want to get there before they move again)

I know these kinds of things add weight (though minimal) they are necessary (unless you are just looking for a pool toy). Kind of like having a baseball cap without a brim, though it is functional is doesn't serve its intended purpose.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

There are 2 stern tie offs, and 2 bow tie offs, along with 2 more that are near the bow. They are not easy to see in the pictures, because they are integrated into the seam. They get welded into the seam, and are reinforced. I like the Velcro, hold down idea. It should be pretty easy to seam grip Velcro onto the raft where needed. Would not add very much weight at all.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Josh,

This is no good.

I read somewhere that cottage manufacturing was dead. Why are you still innovating things I want to buy?

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Thanks Josh- the tie off seem to be well thought out.

Todd Ler

@toddler

Locale: PNW

currently in stock.

any earlier adopters care to give a quick review? thanks

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Anybody know what the paddles in the pic are on Ruta Locuras site?

http://www.rutalocura.com/LWD.html

Can this be used as your sleeping pad as well? Is it Multiple air chambers?

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

From the looks of it, I think it only has the main perimeter chamber plus a little seat cushion section. You could probably just use a torso length pad and semi inflate/fold the dinghy to use for your bottom half.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

Thanks for posting about this.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools