Topic

Source for wool?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Source for wool?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Kelly

@bkelly

Does anyone know of a source for wool by the yard? I was contemplating trying to make some wool baselayer type piece, but after doing a search amongst the normal online sources, I couldn't find anybody who sells it.

I know Mr. Fornshell resorted to cutting up a shirt to make a hood for another shirt, so maybe their isn't a source?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Brian,

You may find wool yardage but I don't think you will find the really fine (thin and low weight) Merino. Regular Merino is OK but what you want is the really lightweight new Merino. Watch for sales on the stuff.

OR

You can get silk weight Capilene by the yard at
    Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics
    They call it "Wickaway Pique but will tell you what it really is if you call them.

You might work with some of that first to practice with and then if you get the real stuff you should be able to sew with it easier. You might even decide you like the silk weight stuff well enough to just use it. I think I made 4 or 5 things out of the Silk Weight before I cut up my #2 Wool Crew.

If you do decide to buy something made out of the #2 wool to cut and make something else out of it – buy the largest size they have. You get more material for the same price of the smaller sizes.

Justin Ling

@ling_jd

Locale: columbus ohio

Nevermind. The merino bag liners from REI are not made with a jersey knit.

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

You can get the kind of wool you want here http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_25&products_id=331&osCsid=3b0b21920a71665ad9208164dd97e17a
    but its pricy at 20 euros a meter.

Royal

David Wills

@willspower3

from a previous post:
    http://www.emmaonesock.com/fabrics/woolknits.asp
    is one source
    http://www.jascofabrics.com/shopping/index.html
    is another.

It's all expensive. You would probably be better off with stuff available from the market.

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

I've ordered a few fabrics from Shelby. They also have a wool blend that's a bit cheaper and still very nice. I'd also reccomend his patters. They are well designed and easy to use.

JFF

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools