Topic

Can you shorten a Neoair?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can you shorten a Neoair?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I currently sleep on a 1st generation Neoair medium–rectangular, 20 inches wide, 66 inches. Now that I've shifted to a quilt, my arms are no longer contained as they would be within a bag, and tend to fall off the pad. I'd like to have a wider pad, but the current Neoair XLite L is 77 inches long–way long for 5'4" person. Is there any way to shorten the pad? I don't need to maintain the oval mummy shape, would prefer rectangular anyway. Seems to me that I saw someone mention using an iron to shorten a pad, but I'd be afraid of leaks. If I can find this pad on sale, that would be ideal, because they are way expensive to begin with.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

Here you go:

How to shorten a Neoair

I don't think I'd worry about the iron not giving a good seam; used correctly it will. Here's video by pad maker Klymit on how to shorten one of their pads. Process is slightly different (they fuse before they cut) but I think you want to cut first with Neoair because of the insulation layer:
    How to shorten a Klymit Inertia XL pad

By the way, Campmor still has some of the old Neoair shorts (9oz and 47" long) and they're on sale for $80. I bought one from them recently and seems good, I'm eager to try it out: Neoair short at Campmor

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

Did this on my Xlite, have quite a few nights on it with no issues. Wish I had a large one to shorten but I just used what I already had.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73403&skip_to_post=625778#625778

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

After agonising about his I finally took the scissors to a brand new XL X-Lite – it honestly took about 5 minutes! Very straightforward – result is ideal for me, 23" wide when inflated and 45" long. Weighs 275g.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Do consider that Cascade Designs has been know to replace NeoAir Pads that failed in one way or another even outside the warranty period, that previous models were somewhat prone to blistering/buldging, that they are expensive, and that modifying them will negate that warranty.

If the risk is acceptable then go for it though.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I'm struggling with this issue, also. I just purchased a Big Agnes Q Core SL in the long/wide size. I'm only 5'5" so I didn't need the length, but wide only comes in long. I'm tempted to shorten it on arrival, but fear ruining the pad. I wish you could at least special order a short/wide pad from the manufacturers, I wasn't in a hurry.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Interesting thread. We were building an inflatable floor for our boats, and by happenstance the measurements are 48" x 25" inflated. A side benefit is that it could be used as a short wide sleeping pad. I am 6'2" and it fits me quite well. We are working to get the weight down (currently 16oz using 200D Nylon) by swapping fabrics. Our floor is non insulated.
    Inflatable Floor

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

"I'm struggling with this issue, also. I just purchased a Big Agnes Q Core SL in the long/wide size. I'm only 5'5" so I didn't need the length, but wide only comes in long. I'm tempted to shorten it on arrival, but fear ruining the pad. I wish you could at least special order a short/wide pad from the manufacturers, I wasn't in a hurry."

I started a thread on short/wide pads a little while ago that got favorable responses. I bet there is a market for them. But I have no contacts in industry to suggest it to or knowledge of how such a thing is done. I did email Cascade Designs when I first started researching ground setups, to ask if they made any pads besides the Neoair Trekker in "Large Torso" size–25×48. The rep said no. I didn't pursue it further. But if they can make one that size I don't see why they couldn't offer more.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

don't worry, Rick. I haven't attacked my xtherm with any sharp objects yet.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I went ahead today and shortened a Neoair large. Knocked about a foot off the length, and nearly 3 ounces in weight. Seems to be holding air well, I laid on it for about 15 minutes and didn't feel any flattening.

Now hopefully I have a comfortable sleep set-up. I sleep on my side and my stomach, and roll around a lot. I always felt like I was perched on an edge, and I think I slept rather tense, waking up frequently. Now maybe I can relax fully!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Awesome, Diane! Now you have your cake and eat it too.

I wish I were that brave.

Mark Padrnos
    BPL Member

@banosser

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just shortened my Large XTherm… lopped a foot off it.. it's now 64" long.. it is currently inflated with about 50lbs spread out on it.. no signs or sounds of leakage.. I'll leave it like that over night..

I used the well known instruction on this vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY
    no issues..

I have been a religious Exped DM 7 user for years… am starting the Ptarmigan trav next weekend and am knocking off some wt..

If 64" ends up still being a bit too long I can always shorten it a bit more… As is it's about a full lb savings over the DM7.. and a smaller package too..

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Great job Mark! Glad this is working out for you.

Mark Padrnos
    BPL Member

@banosser

Locale: Pacific Northwest

XTherm
    seam

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I wish it was easy to reduce the thickness of a neoair. Or that Thermarest came out with a "2 season" thin version.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools