Topic

Starting to doubt using my alcohol stove for cannister

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Starting to doubt using my alcohol stove for cannister

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"That has got to be an award-winning euphemism!"

For a reasonably accurate reenactment….

"OMG OMG OMG OMG! I'm going to set the woods on fire! OMG OMG OMG! I'm going to jail for setting the woods on fire! OMG OMG OMG!"

The more I think about it, I really don't miss my circa 1984 Coleman Peak One stove even though it holds a position of honor in garage. I actually won it for selling the most fertilizer in my Boy Scout Troop (you can’t make this stuff up folks.) I cannot stand the thought of throwing it away so maybe I'll have it bronzed.

P.s. I didn't set the woods on fire.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"P.s. I didn't set the woods on fire."

Rookie….

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Ian: yes, 4 oz's of fuel plus whatever the canister weighs; 3 oz.'s probably. I use an MSR canister; pretty small. So I think that my entire canister set-up, with pocket rocket and titanium windscreen comes in at about 10 oz's. I suppose that this seems heavy, but gets lighter every day. The upside: no muss, no fuss, dependable, no parts to lose or fuel to spill.

Plus, my windscreen–a caldera cone–will work as a wood burning backup.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

"P.s. I didn't set the woods on fire."

Rookie….

hehe I had one of the older pump valves crack on me canoe camping once and had it blow like 1/2 liter of white gas in flame thrower fashion until it was out. Luckily all that got roasted was a bit of leg hair and our breakfast

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

"The photo below shows perhaps the best coffee I ever had, thanks Adan."

Ha! That was a very good day. My pleasure, buddy.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

The "second canister" thing was for longer hikes. If you have a mostly empty canister and buy a new one at a resupply point, you end up carrying both for a while. Or you end up tossing a partially-full canister.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

yea.. you could also bring a few esbit tablets for a few grams for 1-2 day backup in case your canister runs out

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools