Mar 24, 2013 at 11:09 am #1300824
I picked up a couple of those FroggToggs Emergency Ponchos, with the really light weight wp/breathable fabric. I thought it might make a good material for rain mitts. Oddly enough, years ago I purchased patterns for over mitts by Controlled Exposure.
I have both the rain mitts by MLD and Zpacks, and they breath ok, but they don't fit very well. I hope the more contoured shape of the Controlled Exposure pattern will feel better.
I checked with my sewing machine and it can sew the 3/16" seam allowance on the lightweight material just fine, and after sewing I will come back with some 0.33oz cuben fiber tape to water proof the seams and provide some strength. The 3M 9460 tape I use for the tape sticks very well to the slick side of the FroggToggs material. I might have some wrinkles as it goes around curves and such, but it shouldn't be that bad.
As for durability, I plan on treating them with kid gloves. Any holes/wear areas can be patched with cuben tape. If wear is a problem, then I can make another pair with something more durable in the palm and thumb area.
Weight: I traced out the panels onto a piece, and without cutting them out, the fabric weighs 0.6oz for the pair of gloves. I predict the pair when done will weigh 0.5oz or less.
SteveMar 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm #1969067
todd harperBPL Member
@funnymoLocale: Sunshine State
Those look cool. Can't wait to see the final product.
Not questioning your skills – but did you think of making a pair with test material first?Mar 24, 2013 at 3:56 pm #1969129
I hadn't thought of making a test pair first, as the material was quite inexpensive (and I have more material). If it doesn't work out, I'm only out of time.
Further thinking about it, I will probably layer the high wear areas (hiking pole straps) with 0.5oz adhesive backed cuben. It should add very little weight.
SteveMar 25, 2013 at 11:39 am #1969398
I got past the hard part, sewing the 3 panels for the thumb, and attaching that to the palm.
But now I'm thinking of scrapping what I've done. Reason: to many seams to tape up. Each glove is 9 pieces. The tape will cover so much of the glove, I think the breathable nature of the material will be compromised.
I have other plans for overmitts, I'll pull those out.
SteveMar 25, 2013 at 9:41 pm #1969603
Backpack JackBPL Member
@jumpbackjackLocale: Armpit of California
Try this pattern, it's very simple but really efficient.
JackMar 26, 2013 at 2:01 am #1969640
@stingray4540Locale: South Bay
Mittens needn't be that complicated. Try the link provided in the post above mine.
I am super interested to see the finished product and hear how they work.
Where did you get the material from? I suppose I could alway cut up my old driducks pants…Mar 26, 2013 at 11:52 am #1969759
Velimir KemecBPL Member
I made Tyvek mittens with Lance Marshall pattern
and would like to add that the pattern in super simple to use.
Not as light as target weight here but pretty close.
CheersMar 26, 2013 at 6:31 pm #1969891
Thanks for the Lance Marshall rain mitt pattern, that was one of the ones I had as a backup to the Controlled Exposure pattern. I won't be able to get back to this project for about 2 weeks (the dry lake bed is calling to fly kites)
I got the fabric from cutting up a brand new Emergency Pancho by Frogg Toggs. Really light weight fabric. When I finished cutting all the pieces for my first attempt, they all weighed 0.3oz. Wow, these are going to be light.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.