Topic

FroggToggs Rain mitts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear FroggToggs Rain mitts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I picked up a couple of those FroggToggs Emergency Ponchos, with the really light weight wp/breathable fabric. I thought it might make a good material for rain mitts. Oddly enough, years ago I purchased patterns for over mitts by Controlled Exposure.

I have both the rain mitts by MLD and Zpacks, and they breath ok, but they don't fit very well. I hope the more contoured shape of the Controlled Exposure pattern will feel better.

I checked with my sewing machine and it can sew the 3/16" seam allowance on the lightweight material just fine, and after sewing I will come back with some 0.33oz cuben fiber tape to water proof the seams and provide some strength. The 3M 9460 tape I use for the tape sticks very well to the slick side of the FroggToggs material. I might have some wrinkles as it goes around curves and such, but it shouldn't be that bad.

As for durability, I plan on treating them with kid gloves. Any holes/wear areas can be patched with cuben tape. If wear is a problem, then I can make another pair with something more durable in the palm and thumb area.

Weight: I traced out the panels onto a piece, and without cutting them out, the fabric weighs 0.6oz for the pair of gloves. I predict the pair when done will weigh 0.5oz or less.

Panels traced out onto lightweight FroggToggs fabric

Steve

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Those look cool. Can't wait to see the final product.

Not questioning your skills – but did you think of making a pair with test material first?

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

I hadn't thought of making a test pair first, as the material was quite inexpensive (and I have more material). If it doesn't work out, I'm only out of time.

Further thinking about it, I will probably layer the high wear areas (hiking pole straps) with 0.5oz adhesive backed cuben. It should add very little weight.

Steve

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

I got past the hard part, sewing the 3 panels for the thumb, and attaching that to the palm.

But now I'm thinking of scrapping what I've done. Reason: to many seams to tape up. Each glove is 9 pieces. The tape will cover so much of the glove, I think the breathable nature of the material will be compromised.

I have other plans for overmitts, I'll pull those out.

Steve

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Stephen,

Try this pattern, it's very simple but really efficient.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43035

Jack

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Mittens needn't be that complicated. Try the link provided in the post above mine.

I am super interested to see the finished product and hear how they work.
    Where did you get the material from? I suppose I could alway cut up my old driducks pants…

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,
    I made Tyvek mittens with Lance Marshall pattern
    and would like to add that the pattern in super simple to use.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60999

Not as light as target weight here but pretty close.

Cheers

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Thanks for the Lance Marshall rain mitt pattern, that was one of the ones I had as a backup to the Controlled Exposure pattern. I won't be able to get back to this project for about 2 weeks (the dry lake bed is calling to fly kites)

I got the fabric from cutting up a brand new Emergency Pancho by Frogg Toggs. Really light weight fabric. When I finished cutting all the pieces for my first attempt, they all weighed 0.3oz. Wow, these are going to be light.

Steve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools