Topic

Mini Kerosene Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mini Kerosene Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

While doing some spring cleaning I came across parts to my mini kerosene stove project. I had a need to fire up the stove a few times to get an idea where I left off on this design.

The micro flame adjustment needs some fine tuning or maybe a new device altogether.

I used a large aluminum cat food can as the base of the stove. So far, I've only used 1 ounce of 100% odorless mineral spirits at a time when testing. The wick absorbs all of the fuel. The stove is non pressurized. Even though the fuel is odorless, the stove has an unpleasant odor when I snuff it out.

Because the pot support is integrated it's not the most user friendly when lighting the stove. I suppose I will have to weld up a separate stainless steel wire pot support for it.

With the integrated support removed it will allow me to snuff out the stove so it won't give off nearly as much odor. Right now I cover the entire stove with a can to snuff it. When I lift the can a cloud of nasty smelling smoke is exposed.

I can see there are viable improvements to be made that will make this kind of stove usable in a remote cabin someplace out in the piney woods. A nice small efficient stove for small quantities of water to be heated when a cuppa is needed to take the chill off the morning air. It's not going to be a backpacking stove, just another stove to play with ;)

I'll update this thread when improvements are made.

There is a thread at my website bplite.com that gives more info on the development of this stove if anyone is interested in stove design.

This is a photobucket video, click on it to view.

video MiniKerosene2013_zps38510bf2.mp4

photo MiniKerosene2013002_zpsafec3e2c.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools