Topic

Modified Kovea Spider

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modified Kovea Spider

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I received my Kovea Spider on Friday and couldn't wait to see what it was all about. I stripped it down to determine the component weights and other metrics. They are:
    Height to pot 85 mm
    Height to burner 66 mm
    Gap under burner 14 mm
    Legs diameter 120 mm top/150 mm bottom
    Legs/pot supports 61 g
    Burner head 17 g
    Mixer tube 8 g
    Brass base 14 g
    jet & pre heat tube 17 g
    Hose & valve 34 g
    Kovea Spider parts
    I have had the idea of suspending the burner inside a windshield for some time so I have made a rather crude setup to prototype the construction. This has shed 75 grams and added back about 18g (this can be lowered) plus the windshield (28g) which would be needed with the stove in either configuration. This gives me an invertible canister stove with full windshield weighting 125g.
    The burner is suspended on a steel cross attached to the burner by the stainless steel wires looped over the pot supports. The whole thing nests inside a 900 pot with a 230g canister (apart from the pot supports). Now to test it.
    Modified stove

steven franchuk

@surf

I would be interesting in how your experiment works out.

Out of cureosity how is the hose connected to the preheat tube. Is it just threaded on? Also what were the two springs for?

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

The tube connects to the pre-heat using a thread – no O rings etc. The two springs provide the detent force for two of the pot supports. One pot support is fixed but the other two need to be depressed slightly to unlock them so they fold.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Looks like a clever set up. Would live to hear how it works out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools