Topic

Best Fishing/Hiking Shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Best Fishing/Hiking Shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Edwin Lamberth
    BPL Member

@alfisher

In the interest of saving weight, what one shirt would you wear for hiking and fishing? Some of the Columbia long sleeve shirts look good, but maybe a little light.

http://www.columbia.com/SubCategory.aspx?top=1&cat=15020&viewAll=false

Interested in your thoughts. And this is for summer fishing (temps in upper 70's to upper 80's during the day).

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Edwin, best is even more subjective. My favorite hiking, fishing, and general warm weather shirt is the Rail Riders Adventure shirt.

http://www.railriders.com/product_info.php/cPath/90_102/products_id/823?osCsid=aka9g9o1l6p2qdqr33e401n6h6

Also reviewed here http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=7124

Steve Crane

@scrane

Locale: Denver

I would like to vote for Under Armour Guide Shirt, pockets are set-up for fishing, light weight you can view at Cabellas.com

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'll put my vote in for an ExOfficio Buzz Off shirt or something similar. I got mine about four years ago and really like it. It's similar to many of the Columbia shirts. It has long sleeves that roll up with buttoned straps to keep them up. The pockets zip shut (Columbia has velcro) with lots of room for flyboxes, leaders, etc.

I used to hike in a T-Shirt but this works just as well and has the added advantage of being a long sleeved shirt for a bit of extra warmth/sun protection or the extra long sleeve layer later in the day. Mine originally was bug repellent, but you can get permethrin spray to apply to your clothing. It's made out of cotton/polyester and dries very quickly. I wash it during the hot part of the day and it dries almost immediately. I got mine on sale from National Geographic, but you can probably find them on sale every now and then.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I picked up a couple of Oobie shirts from REI for fishing / hiking. They have a zippered pocket and a buttoned strap for keeping the sleeves rolled up. They are supplex, 7.95 oz and $20.

Haven't used them in anything higher than around 70 so don't know how they work in the 80s. Unfortunately what's left now is mostly XLs.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/750226

G Cowen
    Spectator

@coweng

The Columbia Tamiami. Super light weight with sun protection., great for warm/hot weather. I just wish they had it in white or very light grey or tan…

G Cowen
    Spectator

@coweng

the Columbia Silver Ridge LS is also a good choice. A little more durable which would be better for hiking/fishing…

Edwin Lamberth
    BPL Member

@alfisher

Question about the Silver Ridge – if it is made out of omni-tech, which is supposed to be water resistant and DWR treated, wouldn't that affect its breathability and how warm/cool it is?

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

To Phil's point, it's all subjective…but I recommend Ex Officio long sleeve shirts. They come with a variety of features, but all generally seem set up for the required durability and freedom of movement.

I also highly recommend anything produced by the Cloudveil fishing line. Their fabrics are in many instances proprietary and combined with their designs, are super well thought out with the end user in mind!

Gregory Doggett

@gregory

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I like the ExOfficio Airstrip Lt. It has enough pockets to double as a vest for my very compact fly kit.
    But I'm such a fan of merino wool shirts yearound that I just commit my fly kit to a Mayfly Pouch Lanyard and wear whatever shirt I like to hike in best.
    Greg

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

Anyone used the Cloudveil Classic Cool shirt? I am very tempted to get one.

Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj
    BPL Member

@aalarfaj

Locale: Northern MN

I really like the Canyon shirt by mountain hardwear. It is a bit heavy but I have modified mine by cutting out the zipped pocket, the neck protection, extra buttons, sleeve thingys, but kept the velcro pocket. I took two of them on a 6 month trip in Africa and South East Asia. They handled the abuse well and were cool when hot and warm when cool. I also really like merino wool but like the canyon shirt because I can roll up the sleeves and they will stay up and be loose. Just my opinion.

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

I have not modified mine because I like it's ability to give great sun protection (can't stand sun screen).

This shirt has mesh in all the right places too.

Kai Larson

@kaipl

Locale: Colorado

I am partial to the Feathercraft Tech shirt:

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=PB102

It provides great sun protection, is cool in hot weather, but also gives wind protection when it gets windy, and it looks good.

Price is reasonable as well.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I really like the Rail Rider Adventure long sleave. comfortable, breathable and looks good a the same time. The eco-challenge teams use them- also very long lasting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools