Topic

Planning a Rae Lakes Trip Need Wisdom

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Planning a Rae Lakes Trip Need Wisdom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

Planning on hiking this loop the end of July and any input will be well received.

Here are my plans:
    Day 1 Road's End to Upper Paradise Valley
    Day 2 Upper Paradise Valley to Dollar Lake
    Day 3 Dollar Lake to Junction Meadow
    Day 4 Junction Meadow to Road's End

Here are some of my questions:

Where are the bear lockers?
    Where are the water sources?
    Will a 40 degree quilt (JRB) and a down jacket be adequate?
    Will there be mosquitos the end of July?

Thank you

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Lots of water, your sleep system may be fine. It's looking like a early season this year, bugs may be a non-issue. Eat the fish at Rae Lakes, they need thinning. Bear boxes at most spots.
    Duane

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Geez, there are water sources all over the place. After the first two miles, you start up alongside a stream. Going from Paradise to Woods Crossing, there is water that is way off the trail to the south, so that is one place that is uphill and moderately dry. But, if you get desperate, you can head over to the stream. From Woods Crossing to Dollar Lake there is water from time to time, but there are a few spots in the middle that are far enough from the stream that you won't bother. Once you get past Rae Lakes and are started up toward Glen Pass, you pass the last ponds halfway up. Then Glen Pass is completely dry until you get to the south side where there is a nice turquoise pond. For a few miles down to Vidette Meadow, it is dry. But then from Vidette Meadow and down the Bubbs Creek Trail, there is water all over.

This summer is looking like it may be very dry, so the mosquitos may go away, but you can't count on it.

The single good thing about Glen Pass is that there is a great view, especially in the direction of Mount Brewer.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Sooooo your doing the Rae Lakes Loop and not staying at Rae Lakes?

steven franchuk

@surf

When my brother and I did it some time ago we spent two days getting to Rae lakes mainly to gave ourselves extra time to adjust to altitude (I needed it, my brother didn't). We hiked past Dollar lake. once you get to dollar lake the trail is almost flat to Rae lakes. So I would recommend pushing past Dollar if you can.

Spent the 3rd day at Sixty lakes basin. On the way out we stopped and spent the night at lower Kearsarge lake. I liked Kearsarge lake a little better Rae lakes. We camped at the outflow of the lake and didn't see anyone else there.

On our way out we had planned on camping at Junction meadow. However we got there at noon and after having lunch decided to push on all the way to Roads end. We didn't see anything at Junction meadow that justified spending the night.

for use the last 2 to 3 miles to Roads end was dry for us. But we had already filled our bladders so it was not an issue for us. No issues with any other area but it was a normal year. This year is currently heading for a drought so it may be different for you.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Your first day will be easy – about 9 miles to Upper Paradise.

Lower, Middle, and Upper Paradise areas each have bear boxes. The bear box and camping area at Upper Paradise is very easy to find: The box is located on the left side of the trail, IMMEDIATELY before the crossing of Woods Creek on a bridge. So when you see the bridge, just look around at the camping areas on your left side and you will find that bear box.

Bears are VERY active in Paradise Valley. They lurk, awaiting the fool that abandons his food. Once you stop, don't even so much as walk down to the river without storing all of your food and your smellies in the bear locker.

– Elizabeth

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Forget the bears, watch out for the mice at Upper Paradise. I was thru a few years ago, two cousins had three of their bladders ruined by mice in the bear box. I camped the previous night at Lower Paradise and there was a bear reported to be hanging around there, never saw it, even with sightings minutes old. Fish at Rae Lakes, they need the fish thinned out.
    Duane

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools