Topic

Platy 1L SoftBottle vs PlusBottle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Platy 1L SoftBottle vs PlusBottle?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Emily B

@emilyb

Platypus Plus Bottle 1L
    Platypus Soft Bottle 1L

Those who've used both: Do you have a preference?
    a) In general, for whatever YOU use it for
    b) As primary drinking bottle while on the trail or on day-hikes

Was planning on the SoftBottle, couldn't decide and almost got both. Then remembered something about a resolution to simplify my gear collection, so thought I'd try making an informed decision instead of just amassing…
    Thanks!

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I've been using these "rum runner" containers for a long time. They're marketed toward the cruise boat crowd for sneaking liquor onboard. I've used them for all sorts of things and they've never failed. I think the plastic is more durable than the Platy's and they're pretty puncture proof.

The plastic's a little stiffer than the Platy's, so they stand up better (they have a pleated bottom). I prefer the spout to be at a corner — easier to pour without spilling. The smaller ones are good for taking wine, liquor.

MOST importantly, they weigh 0.8oz each. I think Platy's are in the 1.2-1.5oz range?

They're also cheap, less than $5 for a 32oz flask, shipping is quick and customer service is great.

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/32oztravelerand8482.aspx

Btw, the refillable travel-sized containers on their website (at the 'Easy Travelers' link) aren't bad for packing toiletries and such.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I like simpler Platy's. The 'Soft' ones are just adding complexity to solve a problem that doesn't really exist so they can jack up the price. They add weight and freeze up easier. The push/pull cap of the 'Plus' platys is better, but I just prefer a normal cap like the original Platy's – or those rum runner flasks.

It seems I can only find the Soft ones in my local stores these days. So in the last year I've bought a couple, but always replaced the cap with a simpler one from a 'disposable' water bottle.

Emily B

@emilyb

Rum Runners! I was actually trying to think of them the other day. Thanks for bringing them up. I hadn't checked out the website before; it looks like they have some cool options for packing little bits of this-and-that, especially the traveling line.
    Anyone know if the threads on the 1L flask are compatible with Platy twist-on lids? I am trying to stick with Platys now for ease of interchangeability within my setups for gravity / in-line filtering.
    I too like the simpler Platy bottles that can stand on their own, hence the SoftBottle which is the simplest current Platy offering for the 1L. I have the .5L SoftBottle and use the plain or push-pull cap. I've had it with bite valves.

The platy weight thing is confusing lately, if one goes by the Cascade Designs / Platypus site, which lists 35g for the 1L SoftBottle. (Geez… my early-generation 2+L platy is only 36g!) When I went to the store yesterday in person, the packaging on the exact same 1L Softbottle said 24g (so about .85oz), same as the previous listed weight for 1L Softbottle before its current round of graphics. So I'm guessing the 35g is with the HyperFlow Cap and the 24g is with the plain cap. To my surprise, the 1L PlusBottle package also listed weight as 24g (or 26?). I thought it would be more. Hence my indecision.
    The Plus has the spout at the corner (perhaps easier for pouring, as one of you mentioned, or even drinking?) and a handy handle / biner-clip-loop, and measurement markings. The top spout on the Softbottle is probably easier to pour into, and perhaps the bottle is an ergonomically better shape for hand-held drinking?

I'm going back today with my scale.

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

Rumrunner flasks are 'identical' to the original platys – same threads, caps, design,…..
    I've used RR flasks for quite awhile.
    Only warning…. they are stiffer than the current platys and therefore a bit more prone to cracks or punctures… they will break when dropped repeatedly onto sharp rocks.(Duh!) Yet they are tough enough to survive 10 days at Philmont with a bunch of Boy Scouts – a few casualties, but I know they weren't handled very carefully.
    With an ounce of care they last!

RE the Platy bottles, the PlusBottle is nice because of the grab/hang loop, my daughter carries one of those clipped to her shoulder strap for easy access drinking, but she replaced the push/pull cap with a bite valve cap…. and refills the PlusBottle from the Rumrunner storage bottles in her pack…

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

Because of the hang-loop.
    I hang my bottles.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Sooo, the rum runners should work with the sawyer squeeze? I'm about to order a couple and that is the only thing stopping me right now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools