Topic

Atmos 58 or Flash 62 or Flash 65

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Atmos 58 or Flash 62 or Flash 65

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Want to use my REI dividend and wondering which one of this would make sense to buy..thoughts?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I am just about to use a Flash 62 this weekend for the first time, the whole lot packed weighs in at just over 26lb all in, I can let you know on Sunday how I got on with it.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Post your thoughts.

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I have a flash 50 and have been pretty happy with it. Most of the extra features are pretty useless, but the pack itself is not bad at all. I've carried 35ish pounds (shh don't tell the community) pretty comfortably. I haven't used it frameless yet, but I'm considering going frameless for a hike next weekend.

Summary: for $80 I am very happy with its performance

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Flash 65 has been discontinued but comes up now and then as a "special purchase." I think they are a good buy. They are available via the online outlet for $115
    http://www.rei.com/product/847925/rei-flash-65-pack-mens-2013-special-buy

My impression is that they run long in the torso. I compared a medium Flash 65 with my Exos 46 large and the medium Flash came out just 1" shorter in every comparison I could think of– measuring shoulder strap mount to waist belt, etc, etc. A large flash was too long for me.

I want to try a Flash 62– it has a perimeter aluminum frame like a Osprey Exos.

Atmos 50 or 65? Or did you mean Exos 58?

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Hi Dale,
    Thanks, I am in a toss up between Flash 65 or flash 62, wondering if there is a significant desgin change with Flash 62 which merits its buy.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have seen both the Flash 65 and the EXOS 58 and would much prefer the EXOS for many reasons, foremost being that Ospey DEVELOPED the wire perimeter frame-and-mesh trampoline back suspension concept.

I own an older REI UL 65 pack. That pack had some of REI's own designs and I still like it. NOW REI is making Osprey knock-offs?? SHAME!

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

If it don't fit in this: REI Flash 18 You don't need it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The Flash 62 is quite different from the Exos. There have been many variations on a metal perimeter frame over the years. I'm sure Osprey and REI have their patents well covered

The gain with either design is to get good weight transfer without making a large central frame sheet. You are pitting a 1/4" aluminum tube frame against designs with 300+ square inches of thick plastic and aluminum bars used in the Flash 65.

It's REI so you are well covered with either decision.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Just back in from a snow shoeing trip using the Flash 62, it carried very well and I was very happy with the lay out except for the small hip belt pockets.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

thanks, I think I will go with Flas 62.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Its a nice pack but I would not want to carry more than 30lbs in it.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

decided to use my dividend and the 20% for a nice mountaineering boots and ordered a "S" Flash 65 from REI outlet.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Very good, I read on sectionhiker that's he reckons the 65 has a better back panel than the 62.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I will see when it gets delivered, I have Flash 45 and it did well for an overnight trip and carrying almost a gallon of water. I had stashed the tent and the sleeping pad outside the pack and wasn't too bad with all that load.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

That is a perfectly good pack. Just avoid trying to fill it. As your kit gets lighter, it usually gets smaller and your Flash 45 may be enough.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools