Topic

Cuben fiber roll top, will it generate heat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben fiber roll top, will it generate heat?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Im getting a pack built similar to this one BUT:

Im thinking about going with black 1.43 cuben for rolltop.

Do you think it will heat up, will the sun go though it easy?dddcuben heat hot backpack

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Michael,

The cuben pack you show there is one Zimmer made for me a while back. I haven't noticed any kind of heat build up, but I'm also in the green tunnel quite a bit. Even the black cuben is somewhat see-through, although less so than the other colors I've used. Some light will get through.

Ryan

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Any pack material will absorb heat from the sun.

In the desert I wrap stuff like chocolate in my down layer. Doesn't melt.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Ryan: its a great looking pack, how has it been holding up? Is it made of 1.43 cuben or 1.0?

Nick: I plan on carrying a platypus up top, I wonder if sun will get through and maybe heat the water up?

I'd like to go with the cuben for weight savings, and there are a lot of people who use full cuben packs. Does anyone notice an increase in temps?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I haven't noticed that my Zero gets any warmer than any other pack. When it is hot outdoors, it is hot outdoors. Yogi Berra probably has a quote for this.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools