Topic

Rochester, NY / Upstate NY

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Rochester, NY / Upstate NY

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sean Marron

@totino

Anyone else in the area? I'm trying to find a buddy to plan some upcoming trips…

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, not exactally "upstate", but I am in the Figerlakes area: Ithaca. I spend a good portion of my time in the ADKs, where I split between canoing and hiking. I'm retired and usually head out solo, sometimes hooking up on the trail for a few days with someone. Pushing old age these days, I guess…not that I adverse to finding trouble (S'long's the wife don't catch me…) Plan??? What's a plan? Hey, ha…

Where do you like to hike?

Sean Marron

@totino

I'm actually newly out of the Army and have yet to backpack anywhere in the area. I'm definitely interested in doing the ADK though. I've also been looking into some longer trails a little closer to me like the North Country Trail at Allegany State Park.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Yeah, well the Finger Lakes Trail/NCT is about all that is mapped solidly through NY. There are three general proposals for the NCT getting to the Mohawk Valley/Rome, NY from Plattsburg…kind'a up in the air, since all require a certain amount of road walking/hitch hiking. The Finger Lakes Trail extends to meet the AT, eventually…couple of ways to do it. There are several trail systems through to Boonville/then Old Forge…none are strictly open to the public. From Old Forge to Plattsburge is the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. This is open and a pretty nice canoe trip. Spurs to The St. Regis area and Fish Creek Ponds area, too. The National forest in NY is a bit of a joke. More of an afterthought, compared to the rest of the ADK's. Though there is a nice trail close to Rochester. Western NY seems to be fairly well populated. The ADK's is more forest. The NPT (Norhville/Placid Trail is on the eastern end and can connect with the High Peaks area, too. Both are way too populated in spring and summer.

Typically I spend about 60 nights a year up there, hiking or canoeing somewhere. I've been doing that for 40 years or so. Anyway, we should probably take this stuff off list if you want to head up there sometime. My old bones don't take too well to cold weather, anymore, soo, probably not till May. Lots of bear up there, a few moose, but they rarely bother anyone. [email protected] is my personal mailing address. Mail me if anything is interesting. A week is about my time frame for a trip…the wife still works.

Sean Craig
    BPL Member

@stcraighotmail-com

Locale: Western NY

I've hiked most of the Bristol Hills Trail, a branch of the FLT that runs from below Canandaigua almost to I-86 (old rt 17). It's hard in this area to get away from houses/cars, but there are a few stretches that are quiet. It's approx. 50 miles long with varying degrees of difficulty in the first half. I'd be happy to facilitate a shuttle for you if you're interested in hiking the trail (pick up/drop off), or just hike it again with you if you're looking for a partner (though we would have to evaluate hiking styles as I'm not in the greatest physical condition). Let me know if you're interested and we can go from there.

I too am looking to hike in the Adirondacks this summer, though I have yet to nail down a plan or timeframe.

Kyle Phakkhonkham

@thebigmoose

Locale: Western New York

I'm looking to do a thru hike of the FLT in late summer and I was wondering if anyone had any unforeseen issues I may run into. I've found some great websites however there seems to be not too many trail journals and was hoping to learn from someone experience with the trail.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

I have done large sections of the FLT, complete between I81 and ~20mi west of Watkins Glen. There is quite a bit of road walking, often back country dirt roads, along this section. Anyway, it is cross listed as the NCT (North Country Trail) and is meant to eventually connect all the segments between Crown Point and Washington. A truely massive project that will result in the longest trail in the US. In NY, the existing trail is the Finger Lakes Trail. The NCT branches off to Crown Point and is not yet determined. See http://northcountrytrail.org/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools